What's new

HT sub builder seeks car-audio subwoofer advice. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
So far, I've built one shiva sub and two AV15 subs. My friends and family know me as the subwoofer builder dude, and now they're asking me what they should put in their car. Truth be told, I have no idea what to tell them.

Basically, I think a Dayton DSQ in a 1 cubic foot box looks best to me. But my friends and family don't want to cut MDF. Can they just buy a prefab box somewhere?

And what about the amp? Parts express sells TONS of amps, but I have no clue about them.

And what about feeding the sub a signal? All I know about is the RCA sub pre-out on the back of an HT receiver. I have no idea what you have to do when you're dealing with a head unit. I guess you have to use an external speaker-level crossover... or four of them? Do you have to re-route all of the wiring to the main cabin speakers because of this?

What about wiring for power to the sub amp? Take it from anywhere?

How do the DIY'ers anchor the sub to the car?

Thanks!

Jared Brock

Auditioning
check out Sounddomain.com and look at their forums. They have lots of discussions about these same questions. I'm not familiar with the Dayton sub or the amps they sell on there but I do know of quite a few good car audio brands. It depends on the taste of the listener and the kind of vehicle/enclosure it's going in.
As far as wiring, if they have a newer aftermarket Head unit there should be one or more sets of pre outs. You can run a pair of RCA cables from the preout to the subwoofer amp and run the appropriate power wires to the battery and ground.
Let me know if there are anymore specific questions I can help you with.
Jared

David-S

Second Unit
If their HU doesn't have a line-out, you can get a line output converter (LOC) that will take their rear speaker level outputs (right in the trunk) and convert it to an RCA signal, for input into an amp...

There are also some amps that come direct with speaker-level inputs, where you could do the same thing...

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton
Jeff, use caution. Understand that what the car audio nut wants from a sub may not match what you want. Some of these folks want OUTPUT and quality is meaningless. Just so you know.

I've had good success using Shivas and Parts Express DVC12's in car audio applications. Just because they only come in basic black and don't cost $400 doesn't mean they can't sound good. I'm currently running 2 DVC12's sealed in 1.25 cu ft each (gross) prefab enclosures. They sound very good to me... :)

Brett Creider

Stunt Coordinator
My friend has 2 DSQ 12s in a 1.6cf box....

They own. DSQ is definitely a good choice...I dunno bout amps though

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
MTX, Soundstream, Precision Power (and the list goes on) all makes nice sub amps.

You really need to decide what driver you will use before you select the amp. The are so many amp/sub configurations available, and you need to select them to maximize the performace of the amp. I say this not only to gain output, but you might also save $$$ on the amp.

If you go with the DSQ, a nice 2 channel amp that will run 4 ohms mono would work great. I would recommend:

http://www.millionbuy.com/sosrub5002.html

It is the Soundstream Rubicon 500.2. It is a nice amp for $169!!!!!

Search the web for prefab boxes. There are many available. Sometimes it is about the same price just to grab one from Circuit City, Best Buy, or a local shop, as shipping is expensive. You can also find ABS plastic enclosures made to fit the vehicle, but make sure the sub is goig to fit. . .

I see you are from Austin. . . are you a student at t.u.?

Gig'em Aggies!!!
Brian

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have a av 15 in my car and it is nice it is is a 2.5 cube box with 3/4 mdfb and carparted. i have the sub just sitting in the trunk but it olny moves with preformance driveing. i would recomend sealed if you want sq

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I designed a dual sealed Shiva sub for my friends car it sounds great. Tight and very punchy.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Since it is car audio, I would go with a lovely internet based company called elemental designs.

An elemental design's e12O.44 would be very nice with 500 watts to it. Box would be nice and small also. It could be vented for more boom, but the one in my trailblazer is sealed.

e12O.44

If they want something smaller (much smaller) go with something like the e8A.44. Really small box with really nice boom. Extremely nice for an 8.

e8A.44

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks