What's new

HT speakers? (1 Viewer)

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Well I want some opinions on HT speakers. I put a thread in recently but no one seem to like my options so I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction.

Here's the deal I will be pruchasing a Elite 45tx and have a budget of $1500 for all the speakers. I am new to this hobby(not new but haven't kept up the last 10 years) and am not familiar with most of the brands brought up here so I was wondering if you guys can point out some good speakers for me or atleast good for my budget and some links as to where I can purchase them.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Matt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
None of your links worked in your last post, so I couldn't really tell what your options were.
The FIRST thing to do is to start by going and listening to some speakers to find out what type of sound you like. It's not so easy to ask for someone's opinion on something if you don't have anything to compare it to yourself.
In that price range, I'd recommend:
www.paradigm.ca
www.jbl.com
www.axiomaudio.com

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
I know its a hard question to answer, but being as you all know who is a reputable speaker manufacturer's and has generaly great speakers I figured you all could atleast point me to some great speakers to listen to and audition.

I figured that also I might as well spend money on good speakers once, than buy something for discount from my buddy when I know I could have gotten something better.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, spend the money on good speakers up front. :D You can always upgrade later.
Since you are in MN, you may be able to make a quick trip up to Canada and get a better deal on Paradigm. On their site, there is a dealer locator. Give them a listen. In that price range, you will probably want to start with the Peformance line. Possibly the Titan or Focus, with a CC170 or 270. If you can head across the border, maybe the Monitor line would fit the budget.
JBL should be no problem to find. I'd consider the S26s all around + S-center.
Sub can come from any manufacturer, and that is a whole other can of worms. I'd figure out the main speakers first, then see what you can budget for a sub.
It may be difficult to find a place to audition Axioms.

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
ust checked out their(paradigm)website their are a 3 dealers in my area woo hoo, I was hoping I could have a listen to them. Do you think they would be cheaper in canada or just the same?

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I own the Acoustic Research Hi res line and love them to death.
I was not able to audition them but I trusted my friends opinion.
In my opinion they are better then the JBL's.
I did listen to paradigms also. Those were nice.

The AR series can be found online by authorized dealers.
I bought mine from accessories4less.
Just a thought.

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering were the deal is for Paradigm in Canada. Is it because of the currency exchange or just because Canadian dealers give discounts. I'm wondering because I live 4hrs away from Canada but I also have 3 paradigm dealers located here the furthest dealer being 50 miles away. I guess I'm still going to the 3 dealers to see what they have and can offer before looking north, but just wondering if currency has something to do with it.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Check out Ascend Acoustics online.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com
You could get three CBMs up front, a VTF-3 sub, and your choice of more CBMs in back or the smaller HTMs. I set my buddy up w/ a similar system in a front projection HT w/ 100" Stewart screen, and believe me, the sound more than keeps up w/ the sweet picture!!
http://www.hometheaterdirect.com
is also great, but the subs aren't as good of a value as their speakers. Maybe 5 speakers from them, and get a Hsu or SVS to go w/ it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks