HT Speakers vs. Pro Studio Monitors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Erdman, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Justin Erdman

Justin Erdman Auditioning

Hi everyone,

I've been a member for a while now, but I haven't posted much, mainly being happy to read and learn.

But now I'm in the market for a new pair of speaks and I have a question to put to everyone...

I am a musician and have auditioned professional studio monitors in the past for use in music production - Behringers, Mackies, JBLs etc. I've always thought they sounded great, as a general rule.

SO, maybe I'm being dumb, but why would I purchase speakers other than studio monitors for use in any situation - and specifically in my home theatre? Aren't the most transparent, accurate speakers always the goal? And wouldn't studio monitors fit that bill, maybe better than HT speaks at a few times the price?

I mean, professionals use them to mix and master the music and audio tracks that are on CDs and DVDs...so wouldn't it make sense to try to listen to these tracks on the same speaks that they were created on?

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I'm currently considering Behringer Truth monitors...they're super-cheap at a store near me...

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

if you like them that's great. the variety is greater in the non-pro area. but it's really very much a matter of taste and i'm sure you could find something acceptable either way.

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    There are certainly people who use pro monitors for their HTs. One thing to watch out for is that some pro gear has a response curve that is deliberately not flat. This is done to simulate different environments in the studio. Be sure the speakers you get don't have this feature.

Another possible downside is the cost of upgrading the speakers. Since pro monitors usually contain the amplifier you'll be spending more (speaker + amp) if/when you decide to upgrade.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Most high end Studios use M&K, B&W,JBL, And the Vintage
    Yamaha Monitors (forget the model)

M&K makes some mighty fine monitors, not cheap in the least
    though..