What's new

HT Speaker setup for $1,000 (1 Viewer)

Steve Barbieri

Auditioning
Hi,
I am working on my home theater and am trying to decide which speakers to get. I will be getting the Denon 1803 to drive the speakers and will probably use them 80% for movies and 20% for music. I plan on using only 5.1 and would like bookshelf speakers for the front. I am currently looking at:

Take 5.2
Axiom Epic Mini (or Midi)
Dahlquist System 2 (or 3)

I can't hear any of these locally, but have read good things about them. I haven't seen much about the Dahlquists, though, but what I have seen is positive. Do you have any suggestions for other setups?

My budget is right at $1000.

Thanks a lot,
Steve

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I would reccomend saving up and moving into Axiom's Epic master system. Just $240 over your budget but it will be money well spent, especially if your room is of average size.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
JBL Studio series (4x S26 and a Scenter) with a SVS 25-31PCi or a Hsu VTF2 would fit that budget.

Sound Clearing House (4x K05B50 and a K05C25) with one of the above mentioned subs would as well. These are currently out of stock, but shouldn't be too long before they are available again.

In my opinion both would be a noticable step above what you have listed already.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,

I just received that exact package from Sound Clearing House today! Well, plus a pair of the towers as well!

Brian

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I would agree with saving for the Axiom Epic Master system. However, if you really want small, attractive speakers then the Take 5.2's are a good option. However, on your budget I would go a step up and get the Energy Encore system at $995 online. For speakers of that size, that system is tough to beat. It is what a Bose Acoustimass system SHOULD be (but isn't) in that price range.

However, if size is not your driving consideration, then Axioms, JBL S series or Paradigm (Titan based system) are your best options.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,

Yes, and I can also give a comparison between them and some other well regarded monitors and towers which I own.

Brian

Steve Barbieri

Auditioning
Thanks for the recommendations. The Epic master system looks great, a touch expensive, but, it's only money :) I will also investigate the JBLs. They seem to be popular on this forum. I have never heard of Sound Clearing House. Brian, can you give me a review once you get them up and running. This gives me a few more systems to search on.
Thanks,
Steve

Philip A

Agent
Unless you have already pulled the trigger, may I suggest you call Marc at the Audio Shop in Ottowa, Canada (actually if you email him, he'll call you back) about the Dahlquists. He hooked me up with Dahlquists after I'd pretty much decided on the Axioms (from about an 8 months search). I am so impressed! The clarity and bass are phenomenal. The build quality is incredible and with minimal crossovers due to the precision speaker matching you are getting so much for the money. My family who are all HT nuts are in awe and quietly hate me.
Do yourself a favor and visit with Marc, he'll tell you what people are picking in his showroom (he sells Paradigm, Axiom, Totem, Dahlquist, etc).
Good luck.
BTW, if you are in the US, then buying from Canada makes all the more money sense...
Link Removed
Link Removed

Steve Barbieri

Auditioning
Philip,
Thanks for the reply and funny you should suggest that. I already contacted Marc and he recommended the Dahlquist Home Theater System 3. He said it is his best seller, but I haven't found many on this or other HT forums that have much to say about them. From you review it sounds like they are great speakers. Which set did you get? Were you able to compare them to the Axioms? I think I am in the same boat that you were....highly considering the Axioms, but not sure. I have purchased from Marc before and respect what he says. That's why I haven't purchased anything, yet. He gave me another option to consider... darn it. I have also been considering the Ascend Acoustic System (4 CBM-170 and the HTM-200 with the Hsu VTF-2 Sub). As with everything in HT, the price keeps creeping up, but my actual money doesn't.

Thanks,
Steve

Philip A

Agent
Steve,

I started out looking to get the QX6's and QX60C for the front, but then my wife up and offered to let me have the QX10's. When I got them and the 60C, I was amazed at the sonics and build quality. She was so impressed she let me get the 6's and a 4 for my surrounds (I have a Yamaha 1200 with 6.1). Even the little QX4 has impressive deep presence and the ability to get the SPL way up.

So, I have two 10's, a 60C, two 6's and a 4--it is so nice, I look forward to the weekends when I can put on a movie (DTS all the way) or play Halo on the xbox.

BTW, it is seamless on the speaker to speaker panning, just as you would expect with matched pairs/manufacturer. The thing that has impressed me the most is that they have an ability to widen the soundstage well beyond the speaker placement in stereo. Imaging gets a lot of talk, and now I know why--it is a blast listening to music I am already familiar with and hearing nuances that I did not even know existed before. Also, the 10's bass is so good that I almost wish I hadn't bought my M&K sub (great though it really is--there's just that much nice low end in the Dahlquists).

I was not able to a/b with Axioms, but I gave Marc's suggestion a whirl since he has received such high reviews from people on the forums. I had looked at and contacted Ascend Acoustics and they were very helpful, but I just wondered about quality due to the semi-poor reviews on the 200's over at CHT. Dahlquist is as Marc advertises--awesome.

Hope this is helpful.
Phil

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Steve,
I got a smaller Dahlquist system for my daughter from Marc after reading a few reviews and talking back and forth with him in person and email. I got the QX6 for front, QX4 for rear and 50C for center as well as the small 8" sub, all for around $800 something. I got her the 8" sub because she lives in an apartment and I didn't want her to get evicted because I had to co-sign the lease.:frowning:
I read numerous posts about entry level speaker packages and considers some of the same packages you mentioned, and just felt that I could get the most bang for the buck with the Dahlquist shipped from Canada.
I set it up at my house first and played with it for a few days and I was quite pleased with the sound for the money. It is a very good value with the exchange rate. She is a vocal major in college so I wanted to get her something that would produce nice, clear, but uncolored vocals. That it does well. It is nice and clear, yet not harsh. It is very warm and pleasing, and the QX6 bass is well rounded for a bookshelf.
I would get a bigger sub though if you are not in an apartment!:D I myself just got a new SVS 16-46 PC+ and am completely astounded.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

JoshuaR

Agent
Phillip, do you have a working link to his Marc's website? I would like to view his products or maybe talk to him about my future plans. Thanks.

kevin_m

Auditioning
sorry for the length of reply,Just a excited newbie......
After many long nights at the computer(the wife about to go crazy) looking for the best review to sway me between axiom or the "new"dahlquist.Let me tell you a little about my self ,this is my first home theater and the decision for this purchase was the hardest for me after reading everbodys reviews and not being able to hear them in person was even more difficult to try and justify to spend the money.I listened to jamo,jbl,mirage,klipsch,energy at local shops.I was just not satisfied with the sound i was hearing for the money they wanted.I decided to call marc at audio shop after the numeruos raves of his customer service exploits on axiom speakers.I e-mailed marc and asked what he recommended.Dahlquist was the recommendation with the qx10 fronts,qx60 center,qx6 rears and the 150 sub.All i can say is thank you Marc for a system that even my wife has taken notice of in clarity and reproduction of our favorite music(from"corn" to "sting") and movies.A+++:)

Steve Barbieri

Auditioning
It seems there are a lot of satisfied Dahlquist owners out there thanks to Marc. I, too, am leaning in that direction. I'm still trying to work out what size to get. I am about ready to pull the trigger on the Home Theater System Three. It looks like a great setup. I am still working on speaker position, though, and need to decide that before purchasing. This is a newbie question, but, does it matter what type of stands you get for the speakers or are they brand specific? I am really surprised at the price of speaker stands. I didn't realize they cost so much.

Thanks,
Steve

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Hi!

Marc is really a great, great guy!!

I bought a complete system, QX10's for mains, QX60C for center, QX6 for surrounds and a 125 sub.

ONE WORD: AWESOME!!!!

If your in the states you will save lots!!

The AudioShop in Ottawa is great to deal with!!!

You probalbly could a slightly smaller system that would be as awesome ...give them a call!

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks