1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

HT speaker purchase advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshY, Apr 5, 2002.

1. JoshY

JoshY Auditioning

I am looking for some opinions on what set-up I should go with. I have a small apartment living room(14x10ft). I am waiting on the new Onkyo600. I am either going with a Klipsch or Polk set-up. If I do Klipsch It will be the RF3 IIs in the front, RC3 II in the center, and RS3 II in back. If it is polk rt800i's in front, cs400 in the center and fx/1000 or fx/500 in the rear. I am going to get a powered sub, but have not decided on that yet, and I do not know what I plan on for the rear center. This will mainly be for movies and not really for music although I do have a SACD player. Any comments, opinions, experiances(positive/negative) would help out alot.

Thanks

JoshY

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Either setup should do fine. I own Polk and My dad has klipsch and they both are good quality brands. The final decision would be cost or size if it were me.

3. John Rock

John Rock Auditioning

I have the rt800i's and the cs400i, they're amazing speakers. Both are bi-wire/ampable, great seperation, beautiful highs. The 800s have an exceptionally detailed soundstage. The 400 is the best sub $1000 center I've heard. That's my recommendation...they're changing lines and these two will be replaced by similar speakers, look at the RTi70 and the CSi40. They're almost the same speakrers as the 800 and 400. Also, Polk's higher end LSi line is pretty amazing, but a bit more expensive.

4. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

The Klipsch set up is better to my ears. I tried the 800's, and didn't like them. They struggled to much! Mabey something was wrong with the amp. Anyways, I listoned to and ordered Klipsch RF3II's yesterday. THESE THINGS ROCK! For SACD, the Klipsch should also be better. Don't go on what everyone here says though. Go and try them both.

5. JoshY

JoshY Auditioning

Thanks for the feedback. As far as price , I can get the polks slightly cheaper than the Klipsch. I have a friend that works at Circuit City. I think cost on the rt800 is $180 each. The cs400 is $200. I have a friend that works for tweeter, but I think there discount is not as good.

Thanks,

JoshY