HT Solution for around $500

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Nevin, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Nevin

Nevin Agent

A friend of mine wants to buy his first HT setup and has a budget of around $500 to spend on a DVD player, receiver, and speakers (5.1). He'd like to purchase at either Best Buy, Circuit City, or American, so he can audition them; therefore, online deals are pretty much out. Can you recommend any good HTIB's?
    I know separate components would be better, but I tend to overshoot his budget by quite a bit, and that's not including cables and wire (which are included in the HTIB's). He's not a hard core HT junkie and doesn't expect top notch performance, but I don't want him to be disappointed. Any advice on what to get? Thanks in advance.

2. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

This system will make your friend very happy and its only $50 over budget. He can go to circuit city to check it out or to buy it if the price is the same or better. If they dont carry this particular model he can just listen to the other Onkyo systems they do carry and decide if he likes the sound.

http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog_det...&p=i&ext_war=0

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've always been a fan of kenwood htb's. for the price, i like the way they sound. here's one within your budget that includes the dvd player. i haven't heard it, but based on the other kenwood htb's, i suspect it will be decent.

definitely worth an audition.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2546

4. Christopher_P

Christopher_P Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo do make good stuff I have one of their HTIAB's without the DVD player. Its great bang for the buck for those of us without the cash to be hardcore [​IMG]

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I used a Kenwood 503 for a while as a bedroom setup. For the money it was fantastic.

I'd look at that!!

It's not very pretty, but was pretty solid sounding with a half decent sub!

Brent