HT Setup Question

edward-k

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed
I am setting up a new home theater and have a few questions. I recently purchased a Yamaha 730 Receiver, Polk Tsi500 towers, Polk CS20 Center Channel, and Polk PSW125 Sub (no surrounds yet). I am a total novice so these questions might sound silly, thanks in advance for any help.

1- While setting up the receiver via the on-screen guide is asks for the size of the speakers...small or large..The graphics seem to indicate what i have would be considered large, but i have read elsewhere that small should be selected most of the time?

2- I'm not really get much from the sub. This system replaced a Bose V25 system who's sub i feel performed equal if not better (i'm guessing that can't be the case).
What should i select as the cross over?
Any other settings etc. that i might want to adjust to get better performance?

Thanks in advance -
Ed

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
1) Set all speakers to Small. This will send more of the deep bass where it belongs. To the subwoofer.

2) 80 hz is the accepted crossover starting point. Larger speakers can be set a little lower, smaller speakers (like the center and surrounds) may need to be set a little higher.

The PSW125 only goes down to 32 hz which isn't very deep for a true subwoofer. You can try increasing the volume of the the subwoofer itself with it's volume, or Gain, control knob or the subwoofer volume setting on the receiver.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dynz