What's new

HT Setup.. Need Help !! (1 Viewer)

Dan:L

Grip
I posted a thread before asking help on how to set up my hometheater. Since it's very hard to suggest things without a diagram, and since you ppl asked for it, here it is. However, I must warn you that it is NOT drawn to scale, and it is a MERE EXAMPLE of how my living room is. Also keep in mind that I live in an apartment.

Here is the diagram (since I cannot post urls yet,please copy and paste the adress into the adress bar, and remove the spaces in the adress.)
h t t p : //www25.brinkster.com/blackh4wk/HT.jpg

Grip
The way the diagram shows is the way it currently set up. I want to know if it is fine the way it is or if there are some improvements I could make.
Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't state it clearly.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Looks ok, any other way, it would be obvious the room was centered around the HT....

I'm assume'n that is a fireplace along the one wall? That makes it tougher.

In rooms where there is a fireplace, I tend to try to arrange it where the firplace and HT have a more equal billing.

I'd put the Piano where the sofa is and the HDTV in the corner of the current piano wall and fireplace wall, and set the sofa out in the room pointed at the HDTV. The Sub at that point would probably be along the fireplace wall. The rear speakers, would be at equal distance, probably placing one just above the end of the relocated piano, and the other just on the otherside of what looks like a fireplace.

John S

Senior HTF Member
That is how I would have it setup myself. But your is ok, mine would peform better from a Surround point of view most likely.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Here ya go, Dan:

Suggestions on your current set-up (if you don’t want to re-arrange the way John suggested) would be to spread the front speakers further apart, to increase the soundstage. You might also want to move the sub to that corner behind the sofa; it would increase extension and output.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Grip
I don't know if any apartments have a fireplace, but my doesn't. I didn't label everything in the diagram because I thought the picture would become too crowdy.
Anyways, John, that is not a fireplace, it is a heater, and next to it is an AC (or vise versa, because I don't know which one you think is a fireplace.)

Also, another thing. I'm sorry I didn't show it in the diagram (wow, I guess I'm really bad at making diagrams), all the way to the left of the sub's current position, is the entrance to my apartment. I like your suggestions, but I don't think the back of a sofa is a pretty site, especially when it is right in the face of people as they walk in. But, as I said before, it is my fault, for not showing that.

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes, as I said, any other way, it would be obvious you centered it all around the HT as in the back of the sofa is what is seen as you walk in the door.

But from an HT performance stand point, that should be much better in the room. It is always a trade off.

Grip
John, I'm sorry but I don't understand this part Where exatcly would this speaker be? And you are refering to the surround right, RIGHT?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Just into your dinning area sort of pointing at the middle of your living area.

Really along that wall anywhere that puts it even with the plane of the listening sweet spot or behind.

I like to go for symetry. Right and left rear surrounds would need to be at the same plane or behind the listening sweet spot, at equal distances. This should also allow your fronts to be placed a little wider and forward of the HDTV too... A nice bonus when it comes to a good forward sound stage.

Grip
Since it is not drawn to scale, I think it is a hard to see how far the speakers would actually be from the listening position. Even though I like your idea, the surround speakers would be about 20ft, if not more from the listening position. Wouldn't that be too much?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Only if your AVR doesn't support that long of a distance for delay when you calibrate.

Actually, setups like this, tend to maximize the surround benefit. Have'n the surrounds to close is more of an issue than to far away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks