What's new

HT Setup help (1 Viewer)

theo-john

Auditioning
I have learned alot by reading peoples responses to posts so thanks for your time.

I have this receiver:

Toshiba SD-6109C

Toshiba introduces the integrated DVD-Receiver. It's a full-featured DVD player with an integrated multi-channel Dolby Digital and DTS compatible receiver. And with 5 channels of 50-watt power, This Toshiba DVD Player features a 10-bit Digital to Analog Converter (DAC)...

Hooked up to these

Sony SS-U4030 I cant find any info on them, they are 100 Watt 8ohm Front speakers
120 Watt Center
70 Watt surrounds
and Sub

I also have a pair of Polk R15's lying around.

How can I make my inexpensive system sound better?
Should I incorporate the Polks?
Should I use new speaker wire?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

MichaelPR

Second Unit
You really don't need to wrory about speaker wire too much. Just make sure you use something of quality. The stuff at home depot or radio shack will do you good...DO NOT BUY MONSTER anything for your system.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
I am a newbie myself but I would probably look for a center from Polk that's timbre matched with your R15's. It seems CSi20 is. You could keep your surrounds or replace them with the current fronts. I agree with MichaelPR comments on the wire. Also, may not be a bad idea to look for a good used receiver. Good luck!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

There is a LOT of playing with setup that you can do.

Read our Primer/FAQ for a lot of good information about speaker placement, speaker calibration and subwoofer placement.

A Radio Shack SPL meter and a "setup" dvd like Video Essentals or Avia can make a dramatic difference.

Dont buy into the "wires will make your system XXX times better" hype. While wires DO make a bit of difference, this is usually for higher-end audiophile systems, not highly-compressed DVD soundtracks.

Use a decent brand of 12 ga wire for all your speakers. (Sound King from www.partsexpress.com is popular and a good price). Leave a foot or two of extra to each speaker so you can play with positions and trim off the exposed copper every 18 months or so.

Get your speakers placed properly, level-adjust the levels, then play with the subwoofer positions.

While I am not a fan of combo-units, the Toshiba unit has a good reputation and makes it simpler to install. Just be aware that the more mechanical part (the DVD player) will likely be your failure point. But that could be years down the road.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks