HT Set-Up Question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

On my older Pioneer Pro-Logic receiver,I had 2 Rotel amps hooked up,one going to my rear speakers and the other used for my center channel speaker while the mains were powered by the receiver.I just purchased the H/K AVR510 and I am starting to hook it up.Question...should I continue to hook it up the same way I had my other one or should I do something different ie:hook one amp for my front mains,the other for my rear speakers and power the center channel with the receiver?Any suggestions...

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Sheldon,
    It depends, we know what receiver you have but what are the Rotel Amps and what speakers are you driving?
    This info would help.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    Evidence of my obsession.

3. Sheldon

Sorry about that.I will have to get back to you tomm about what model # amps they are but I believe that they are either Rotel RB-960 or RB-965.My main speakers are DefTech BP-10's,rears are Bose 201's(replacing with DefTech C/L/R 1000),center channel is older PSB 100(also changing over to C/L/R)Hope this helps...

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Well this is how I'd hook it up. First I pretty sure the old pro-logic receiver was a good one considering it had pre-outs for you surrounds and center channels. The HK AVR 510 is a good receiver (I have the 500) and you will be amazed at the sound. The 510 has pre-outs as you know, this would be a perfect opportunity to set-up Psuedo EX. I'm using my old Prologic Kenwood, and the sound is really good. Your Pioneer sounds like it will be very good for Psuedo setup. Use the Pioneer to power the rears plus you new rear center channel, use the Rotel for you front l/r and the other one for your center channel. I think this will sound great. Here you are using you HK strictly as a pre-amp/processor which should increase it's life. You are going to simply love Logic 7. I'll email you with a way to connect it for better Logic 7 performance.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

5. Jerome Grate

Since you don't have email, I'll post it here
    This is for any and all stereo or pro-logic applications. The key factor is using your t.v. as the source from to the HK. If your t.v. has surround sound mode connect your stereo source (cable, satellite, vcr, DVD) into the t.v. and out from the t.v. to the receiver into video 1 analog. This will enable you to take full advantage of the t.v.'s surround mode during any stereo or pro-logic source.
    I can tell you this rocks, I've listen to various software, for example Star Wars Trilogy, Indiana Jones Trilogy, Michael Jackson's new CD, Godzilla vs. Destroyah, etc. The seperation in your rears is absolutely incredible. I found that the new Michael Jackson CD was one of the best test I've heard so far. There are parts that come so close to 5.1 it's incredible how this wasn't introduce before. If you have satellite and you use the optical out from sat dish to the receiver, you may get more bass and louder sound but it doesn't compare to using the t.v.'s stereo surround modes to fully utilize Logic 7. I may get some non believers on this comment, but it works with Psuedo set ups as well. email me at [email protected] and I'll go further.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

6. Sheldon

Thanks Jerome,I never considered using my Pioneer amp to power the rears.I'm fairly new at this and I am not quite sure on the connections for this.Can you tell me more?Also,what is Psuedo EX?

7. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Sheldon,
    Considering what you have I would use the Rotel's to power your front left and right and the center and use the HK to power the surrounds.
    If you are going to a 6.1 channel setup then you can do as was described above, which is use your old DPL receiver to decode the side surrounds to give you a rear surround for matrixed DD-EX or DTS-ES soundtracks.
    What you do is take the side surround pre-outs from your HK and hook them into your DPL receiver L&R inputs on any input such as your VCR (these are your line level RCA inputs and outputs). Turn on the DPL and the amplified output of your center channel is now your rear surround channel. This of course means you need to get one more speaker.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    Evidence of my obsession.

8. Jerome Grate

For Psuedo EX/ES set up (yes it works with DTS as well) you connect the Pioneer receiver to the surround pre-outs of the HK via the CD input of the Pioneer. This will require you to make adjustments to the extent that using a SPL meter to match the tone level of all speakers. Set the it to stereo for normal pro-logic material and 3 stereo for Dolby Digital EX or DTS ES. Now remember as I mentioned earlier, Logic 7 c or 7 m will realistically not only seperate your surrounds accurately but will direct any signal that normally would be in both surrounds to the rear center channel. This really works, I was stumped by stumbling across it. I listen now most material in this set up. I say most because there are some DD material that it doesn't really work well but if the surrounds are alive (most action, sci-fi and cartoons) this will work.
    ------------------
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS