HT set up/ build help

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BrianVan, Aug 24, 2003.

1. BrianVan

BrianVan Auditioning

Hello,
    I am in the process of framing up my basement and would like some help with construction and placement for my theater system. What is the best thing to use on the walls, floor and ceiling for sound? As of now, my plans are to dry wall and plaster the walls, put a drop ceiling in, and carpeting on the floor. What type of wiring is best for my back speakers? Am I better off hanging my back speakers from the ceiling or from the walls? Any help or comments would be appreciated.
    Brian

2. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

Best accoustical material is Insul-shield and GOM, about half as good is regular carpet...and much cheaper also

Flooring in the basement, no worries, carpet is fine accoustically

Ceiling, would be dry wall and insulation. After that I would go with insulation and accoustical tiles

Wiring? Are you refering to brands or types? Anyhoo, probably an in-wall 12-14 guage would provide what you need

Last question is hard to answer cause were not there. But, test the placement before you actually wire them, then you'll be able to better make a decision.

Do a search on this forum for main subject headers...

GOM
    Wiring
    Ceiling tiles

This will bring a myriad of posts from which you can gleen a ton of info and knowledge

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor