HT room without window, legal?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by mathieu_l, Jan 24, 2006.

1. mathieu_l

mathieu_l Auditioning

Hi!

I was wondering if there's a law preventing a room from having no window. I want to make a HT room in my basement and there would be no window in it. I'm located in Canada. I know it may sound stupid, but for security/prevention reason, I can see such a law exist.

Thanks

2. JoshGivens

JoshGivens Stunt Coordinator

Laws such as this exist in different areas. You would have to check local zoning restrictions and codes to find out for sure in your area.

3. mathieu_l

mathieu_l Auditioning

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll have to ask local "authorities"...

4. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

As Josh says, you will need to check your local building codes. In most of the US, bedrooms must have another "exit", usually a window of a certain size, in the event of a fire. As a result, many rooms are called "bonus" rooms. A lot of them get used for bedrooms, and that in and of itself, is not illegal. But you can't sell it while calling that room a bedroom.
    In my house, both bathrooms have no windows. If you already have a basement, you can almost certainly remodel it, and add a theater. Just don't try and call it a bedroom when you sell.

5. JamesP

JamesP Extra

I'm in Alberta, and I framed over the window in my HT room (or else I would have had to build up the ceiling in the area of the window) and I can't call it a bedroom. My basement already had two escapes (window in other room and stairs), as well, the ceiling is too low for proper bedroom specificaitions (lazy builders put HVAC stuff very low and everywhere)