HT room dimensions.....looking for some help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Ro, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Jim Ro

Jim Ro Auditioning

Jan 26, 2002
    I know this has been discussed here a million times before, with varying answers, but here goes again anyway. I am currently looking a a new home design that has a separate room over the garage (yeah, no waking up the family), which I intend to make a dedicated HT room. I am shooting for a front projection system (eyeing the Sharp XV-Z9000). The room dimensions (as they stand via the builder) are 10'4" wide by 20' long. I was looking at seeing if they could expand the width by a couple feet.

What do you guys (and gals) think the appropriate width should be (i.e. what is reasonable to fit say a 90-100" screen). Also, should I attempt to stretch out the length a little too? I was thinking like 12-14' wide and 22' long.

2. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Oct 3, 2000
    I wish you luck in finding an answer. I wish I could help. I spen about a week here trying to get anybody to help me figure out what to do with my room. I did not get one reply. So good luck.

3. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

May 10, 2001
    I favor audio over video. Also, while I own a projector, the trucking company is still delivering so I'm not quite sure how that will work. YMMV. That said, I have a 13.5'x19' listening room/theater, and find it about right acoustically.
    Up front with a 72" wide screen (first row 1.5X width, 90" diagonal in a 4:3 NTSC format, still need the trucking company to deliver my Sony before it gets installed) the speakers still should have enough breathing room; although in a narrower room this wouldn't be the case unless you tried a perforated screen.
    Current configuration looks like this:
    with screen, projector, and back seats it might mutate like this: