What's new

HT Research (1 Viewer)

Kevin Zimmerman

Auditioning
Hello -
I am at the beginning of the planning stages to remodel my house. My wife thinks it is in order to expand her kitchen, but the ulterior motives involves a room to be dedicated to home theatre for us...well, ok ME!
I'm looking for any and all ideas on building a home theatre on a reasonable budget, though I'm not really sure what that reasonable budget is. Let's just say that I'm just a working stiff with some equity in my house looking for ideas. I am thinking of a room approx. 15'x15'. Is a square room better than an oblong? Probably would not go with "theatre seating" since this room will double as a family room (though the only family we really have are 2 cats and a large Sheepdog - no two-legged kids.)and would like to hear from others who have gone this route.
Right now I have a 10 year old Sony Trinitron 32" TV, Sony 5 Disc DVD, Pioneer DD receiver (5.1), Bose 501 cubes, AR Subwoofer (120 watt) and am doing "ok" with what I have. I am thinking of putting the "infrastructure" in place in the new room and keeping what I have for a while, but of course I see 16x9 HDTV and 7.1 in my future. The question is only budget at this point and I am not exactly sure what my constraints will be at this pont in time.
I would appreciate any and all suggestions and examples of the "working man's home theatre" from any and all, either here or via e-mail. Thank you very much for your help!
Kevin Z.
[email protected]

KrisM

Second Unit
Welcome to the forum Kevin.

Square rooms are not good for sound. There are others here that will give you an idea of the dimensions that you will want.

One piece of advice that everyone here will give you is to pre-wire for any up-grade you may have in the future. If you think you may up-grade to 7.1 sound in the future, wire for it now. The cost will be minimal now compared to what it would be later when you have to rip-up carpet, cut into drywall etc.

There are also alot of other things to consider that you may not think of such as proper lighting, heating and air-conditioning, etc. If you go back in the archives here there is alot of great info. If you plan ahead with regards to these things, among others, you will be happy with the end result.

Good Luck

KrisM

Jim Mc

Agent
A square room is the worst choice for acoustics.

Stay away from the even multiples.

8H x 16W x 24L as an example would also be bad. Try to get non-divisible dimensions or work in prime numbers. Not a magic formula more a guide to stay out of trouble.

8H or 9H x 15W x 19L would be fine.

I did all the work on our theater. The only job hired out was the carpet on the floor and the actual face of "The Stargate" sign. I designed the sign and had it made. So this is a working guys theater. I service a high end piece of lab gear / carry a toolbox for a living.

Kevin Zimmerman

Auditioning
Thank you, Kris and Jim. Very informative.

I really enjoyed your pics, Jim - what a great setup! I'm not sure that I will be able to have a totally dedicated "theatre" like yours, but my mouth waters looking at your pictures! Very very very cool! Would love to see other pics of the home theatre rooms - and will check the archives for them. Please keep the thoughts coming! I can use all the help I can get!

Cheers!

Kevin Z.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks