What's new

HT Reciever-Does it Really Make a Difference (1 Viewer)

Edvardis

Auditioning
I've got a basic 5.1 Technics Receiver that Cost me $225 about six years ago.
It's supplying a pair if Infinity IL 50's, CSW centre channel, Polk PSW650 sub and CSW Newton surrounds. To me, this system sounds pretty, pretty good. I'm wondering if there's a "whole nuther level" that I'm missing out on based on:
A) The receiver.
B) The speaker system (I acknowledge a sub upgrade could change things)
C) The whole Shibang

I use the system primarily for HT, though I do listen to a wide array of music.
What say you folks?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well, if you are happy with the system, then it's not an issue. But a receiver upgrade to 7.1 HDMI will net you a huge difference in sound. Dolby Digital Plus and DTS True Master are sound formats that's the same in the theater at release. Your 6 year old receiver can't do that. More connectivity via HDMI including some upconversion of video to 1080i or 1080p. So in comparison to a 6 year old receiver a new one would make a huge difference on what you can do and what you hear.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Of course, it also depends on what your audio and video sources are, and what kind of display you have. If you don't have a Blu Ray player, DD+ and DTS True Master aren't an option. If you do have one, it is already upconverting your video. (Even if you don't, if you have a plasma, LCD or DLP HDTV it is deinterlacing and and rescaling all inputs to its native resolution, be that 720p, 768p or 1080p.) I'm not familiar with your Pioneer model, but assuming it has enough digital audio inputs for your needs, there might be no particular reason to upgrade.

Regards,

Joe

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm using a 6 year old H/K 520 and some Infinity Beta speakers in my "everyday" room and I'm quite happy with them. My Samsung 1400 BR player is connected via analog out's. If you're happy with the performance then keep it.

My only concern would be your mis-matched fronts and center/surrounds. And the Polk sub. But I have no experience with that particular model.

To me, the biggest difference between new and old receivers (besides the hdmi advantage) is the room correction/eq's like Audyssey, YAPO MCACC and EZSet/EQ as well as Dynamic EQ. These really can make a difference. But then again I can't say I miss them with my 520.

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
New here, but maybe I can give advice anyway. I have a decent Sony ES 5200 receiver that I upgraded from a system in a box, and wow! I know that many on this forum don't like Sony but regardless of whatever receiver you choose, you need one. Without the HDMI up conversion, DTS, or just the simplicity of modern technology you are missing out.
Above all, if your happy with what you have, which you are probably not since your posting, just keep it and enjoy it.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I missed the fact that your front and center speakers are not matched. (The surrounds being different is virtually a non-issue.) Unless your front three speakers are part of the same series, from the same manufacturer, they will not be "timbre-matched", they won't have the same tonal quality. The result is that anytime the sound pans from side to side in a film the sound will change noticeably as it moves into and out of the center channel. What should be a seemless front soundstage becomes a broken one. (Becuase front to back pans are less common, and because sounds coming from the sides or behind us tend to sound different from those from the front in real life, it is less important that the rear speakers match - although it is nice if they do.)

Since you don't list the model of your reciever, I'm not sure what features it has. And since you haven't indicated what equipment you are connecting to it, it is hard to tell if it is meeting your needs or not.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks