HT receivers vs. limitation with Mixed speaker types?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GeorgeTW, Nov 16, 2002.

1. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

I am glad to be here with all the really smart people in the movie-watching world! Boy do I need your experiences!

I've purchased differant small speakers over the years, having been introduced to the sat/sub concept from the start. Now that HT receivers have some-what standardized features AND come down dramatically in price, I've decided to commit.

I am asking for your opinions, because all my speakers are mixed, and I am worried how differant efficiency ratings may affect the HT receiver I buy.

Here is what I have

Polk M-3 (planned for rear)
    Klipsch Synergy 3.1 (planned for front)
    JBL 15" sub/powered by Crown DC-150 amp(bridgeable)

Next purchase will be a Klipsch center, to match the Synergys.

Even though these speakers sound great by themselves, their vast differance in efficiency has made me wonder what will happen when connected to the same HT receiver. The Klipsch have a sensitivity of 94 db, the Polks come in at 89, 5 db of differance.

While low volume shouldn't present a problem, what happens if I want the occasional enjoyment of semi-realistic sound effects? Have HT receivers advanced to the point where varied impedance-loading on a multi-tapped transformer cause no trouble, or should I scrap the Polks and try to find another pair of Synergys for the rear effects?

Does a more expensive HT receiver offset the cost of buying another pair of speakers? The Klipsch were almost $400 when they were new. Would a costlier HT reciever gaurantee better compatibility with differant impedances?

Thank you all, and take care.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Different speaker sensitivities are easily handled by calibration with test tones and an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter. The cost of the receiver has essentially nothing to do with this capability, as long as it has it. These days, I doubt there are many receivers on the market which do not have this feature.

What the receivers cannot compensate for is the difference in timbre, or the way the speakers physically sound.

3. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Hi,Ive done about the same as you,mixed speakers and components from various decades[​IMG] , right now my current setup(and probably the last for a while)
    receiver......HK AVR520
    Lft and rights....Acoustic Research TSW 510
    center ....M&K THX750
    Rears...Stark SR-3 Dipole
    sub ...JBL 100 w
    as you can see it is quite varied,due to money/different degree's of interest,I'm pretty ate up with it now[​IMG] .But with some tweaking and SPL set up time I believe it sounds pretty good.Id mess with what I have now and see what happens,bottom line,it's all about what YOU like.Just because someone says that a combo in incorrect means nothing if YOU are happy with it.
    Greg

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If you have individual tone controls (graphic equalizers for most flexibility) and individual level controls for each channel, you can work around most problems that different speakers in your system may impose.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm