What's new

HT Receiver - under 40 watts per channel? (1 Viewer)

GaryBo

Auditioning
Hi Folks,

I searched the archives and couldn't find an answer, so I hope this is the right place to ask this question...

I am approaching HT for the first time, but I have played with very low power SE tube systems and high sensitivity horns for a while (for two channel music). I am looking to put a bedroom 5 channel system together based around the old Radio Shack 40-1354a fullrange driver in various enclosures, notably two TQWTs for the fronts. I was prudent enough to pick up 6 of these drivers for a few dollars each when they went on closeout a couple of years ago. The problem is though they are somewhat sensitive little devils (93Db 1 watt / 1 meter)and have a maximum power rating of 40 watts. I have been trying to find a receiver that can drive 5 channels (maybe with a sub, though I don't know that I would need one as the TQWTs will go down to 50Hz or so), while producing no more than 40 watts per channel.

Does anyone have any receiver recommendations please? I would prefer to stay with a solid state rec., rather than building a tube monoblock for each channel as that would be too expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Hi Gary,

The 40W rating on the speakers is likely the sustained rating that the voice-coil can take before it goes up in smoke. As you are probably aware, music is peaky in nature (HT even more so) and hence you will probably only be using a watt or less at a time. The key is that if the receiver you use is putting out more than 40W per channel, you won't have a problem unless you really crank it up for sustained levels. Note that a 40W/channel or less receiver will have even more of a problem if you crank it up as it'll start clipping earlier, thus putting even more heat through the voice coils. Most receivers will therefore be adaquate no matter what there power rating is. My advice is to get one that you are happy with the interface/looks etc. The power will not be a problem.

Hope this helps.

GaryBo

Auditioning
Thanks Jonathan, that is good to know. This will be a bedroom system, so the volume won't be an issue.

If this idea of using fullrange drivers in a HT works out I have 5 1960's vintage Electrovoice 12TRXBs that I will use in a living room system at some point in the future. They are built like tanks so I won't have to watch the volume control so carefully. They will also need enclosures about 8 feet tall...

Best,

Gary.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I will pass on what I've always been told. You are more likely to damage speakers with an underpowered receiver than one that exceeds the ratings of the speakers. As said above, just keep the volume level reasonable, and you will be better off delivering clean power rather than straining a low power receiver.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Go to Harmanaudio.com and look for refurbed 2XX or 3XX series receivers. They are more in the wattage range you desire.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Paul is correct, the HK series 220 or 225/320 or 325 will sufficiently drive the speakers you have with no problem. Volume is the key here in reference to driving the drivers to it's fullest capacity. The Harman Kardon receivers sound good at low levels as well, and as long as you keep the receiver at a low to moderate level, you won't have any problems or risks in destroying your speakers.

GaryBo

Auditioning
Excellent, thanks guys! The HK units look good, and the 320-Z looks like great bang for the buck. It has 7.1 processing, so that will give me an excuse to cut an extra rear channel enclosure. If I want to get really ambitious I could also put together a little 7 channel tube preamp at some point in the future. Fun!

Best,

Gary.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Mostly you are listening to only a few watts of power and spakers can take upto 5 times their rated power for short durations, so dont worry about the receivers max power and get the best sounding one for your money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks