HT Receiver suggestions needed (unusual requirement)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Becker, Mar 14, 2005.

1. John Becker

John Becker Auditioning

I'm a person who doesn't update my equipment very often. Most everything in my current stereo setup is 20-25 years old. I'm finally ready to make the jump from "Stereo" to "Home Theater". I'm looking first for a Home Theater Receiver, since that will be the heart of this new setup. But after quite a bit of preliminary shopping, I've discovered that I have an unusual situation which is very much complicating my search.

In my current setup, my speakers are the dBX Soundfield One system. This is a very unique system which came out in the mid '80s but hasn't been made for years. Each speaker has a total of 14 drivers, 4 woofers, 4 mid-ranges and 6 tweeters. It's designed to allow the listener to sit almost anywhere in the room and still hear a good stereo image. And it WORKS! So, for listening to music at least, I want to keep them. Whether these speakers will be suitable for surround sound remains to be seen, but for music they are definite "keepers".

Now for my unusual requirement: This speaker system comes with a dedicated proprietary active equalizer which MUST be used. There are two ways this equalizer can be connected to a receiver:

1. Connecting it in the tape monitor loop, which is what I'm presently doing with my Sony STR-VX750.

2. Connecting it betwen the normally-jumpered preamp output and amplifier input connectors which some receivers have.

I've been looking at HT Receivers in the $400-$900 range. Some of the models I've considered are the Pioneer TSX-1014, the Yamaha HTR-5790, and the Denon AVR-2805. But guess what? It appears that none of these have the necessary connections to accomodate the dBX equalizer! Pioneer tells me the only one they make which will work is the $4500 MSRP Elite VSX-59. Yamaha suggests their equally pricy RX-Z9 or the discontinued RX-Z1. I haven't heard back from Denon yet.

The only receivers I've found in my price range which would work are not HT models, but 2 channel Stereo models, such as the Denon DRA-685.

I realize the Soundfield One is an obsolete speaker system, from a marketing standpoint, but I've found another currently available system which has the same requirement: The Bose 901. I know a lot of folks in these forums are down on Bose, but there is no doubt that a lot of them have been sold and are still being used.

Surely there must be a Home Theater receiver under $1000 which will work with Bose 901s, and therefore also with my dBX Soundfield Ones. I need suggestions!

Thanks for reading this.

2. John S

John S Producer

Pretty many AVR's have pre-out's and power amp in's, and should work.

Tape monitor is out these days for the most part though.

I would not use them, because you will not be able to match them well timbre wise to other needed speakers in the HT environment.

I would think any avr with pre-outs would also have power amp ins.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Guys, please read the material posted atop the Basics area main thread-listing page. Do not ask for purchasing advice in that section. Rather, if asking about receivers, post here in the Receivers/Amps section.

4. John Becker

John Becker Auditioning

I guess instead of saying "I need suggestions", I should have said "I need specific model suggestions".

Anyone who is using an add-on equalizer for the front channels with a currently available HT Receiver, please chime in with the receiver make and model number. Thanks!

5. RobertJohn

RobertJohn Auditioning

John, I have been researching the same topic. But my speaker problem children are two McIntosh ML-2's , 1970's vintage and designed by Mcintosh to be used with an equalizer. Each unit has two 12" woofers and these over-damped speakers are totally flat to 30 Hz if you apply about 10 db of low freq. boost. That said, I too am in the market for a decent receiver with the ability to take an equalizer. One gentleman who replied to my question suggested looking for a receiver with pre-out jacks, and amp in jacks. I've found quite a few with pre-out jacks, but not many with amp in jacks described. ( They might be there and not described ).
    Two which I've found that look promising ( not sure ) are the 1) Onkyo TX-SR702; and 2) Pioneer Elite series VSX-52TX.
    If you find anything else please post back, of we can exchange emails if you are more comfortable.
    BobB

6. John S

John S Producer

It does seem the power amp inputs have sort of gone by the way side in favor of multichannle inputs.

My Denon 4802 has both.