HT Receiver & DVD ideas <$800

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry.Evans, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

We just bought a 48" Mitsubishi HD 16x9 tv. Now I'd like to buy a quality HT receiver and dvd player to go with it without spending too much more than $800.

I'd also like to take advantage of my DVD-A disks.

Any ideas for a good, yet inexpensive, reciever to handle DVD-A and a player to push it?

Thanks,
    Barry
    (a new member, 1st post)

2. Rene Rodriguez

Rene Rodriguez Auditioning

Hi Barry,

I have a 55" Mitsubishi HDTV 16X9 as well, and I can't tell you how much I enjoy watching it. I also just bought a Yamaha RX-V3300 receiver and Klipsch reference series speakers. I recommend going to different sound stores to listen to different speakers and receivers. Ultimately, good sound is in the ear of the beholder. My friend owns an HTR model Yamaha receiver that does everything you can think of. You may also consider Denon, Harman Kardon, Onkyo, and Marantz. I purchased my receiver from Tweeter and those guys will audition anything you want them to. I am biased towards Yamaha, because to me, it sounded the best on the speakers that I bought. I found that the Denon receivers on Klipsch will dull the natural brightness. Anyway, hope this helps.

Rene
    (newb HT user)

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I'd recommend the Sony 4ES, which has two sets of multi-channel inputs. So, you can connect your DVD-A player, and add a dedicated SACD player down the road, if you like. Not to mention, it's a great receiver.

4. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

I had heard notoriously bad things about Sony's recievers. Talk of incessant hum and other problems.

I was considering a Marantz 7200 about a year ago when looking - now that we have the TV the new SR7300 looks too expensive and the shop tried to upsell me on a Rotel which is way out of budget.

Would the Marantz SR5300 or SR6300 fit the bill for DVD-A (maybe SACD down the road)?

Thanks for the replies - bp

5. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Hi Barry,

Welcome to HTF -- great bunch of people -- very knowledgeable and friendly and a HUGE help to me in putting together my own HT system.

As for a receiver, I recommend the Harman Kardon AVR325 or the AVR520 (which can be had for the killer price of $496.51 from onecall.com). I looked at a few different receivers in the

6. JakeMcM

JakeMcM Stunt Coordinator

from what I hear H/K's also have some issues but look into the Sony further it is really a great receiver and regarded well by many. A lot of different brands/models of receivers can have issues sometimes it just comes down to making sure you buy from a place that can get these issues resolved quickly, cheaply, effectively etc...don't rule out the others like Denon etc.

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

8. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Bring home a couple and try side by side,this is the only way to really compare.good luck

9. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Barry,

I have the pioneer 810, which is the model before the 811...very good receiver...I would check out the following brands, yamaha, marantz, denon, onkyo, pioneer, kenwood, and h/k....im not a big fan of h/k because when I worked at the future shop, alot of them were coming back cooked!....but they do sound awsome. stay away from sony. They are not worth the money you pay for them. I used to be a sony freak, everything I bought from sony is now garbage, including 2 receivers (excessive hum and crappy sound), a $1000.00 cd player for the car, that now plays only when it wants to, and half the buttons dont work...all in all, stay away from sony.