What's new

HT-R560 onkyo receiver questions (1 Viewer)

mcintire21

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
Here is a link to the back of the receiver http://www.audio-net.com.ar/Onkyo%20HT-S5100%20Sinto%20atras.jpg

I'm trying to hook up my ps2 to the receiver so it has surround sound also. The ps2 has composite cables (red,white,yellow). I tried plugging into the vcr/dvr input and then ran composite cables to the tv but got nothing. Is that input only for a vcr/dvr? I didn't think it would matter. I also tried the auxillary on the front of the receiver but couln't figure it out either. Any suggestions.

Question 2. I'm going to buy a blu ray player w/ 7.1 analog outputs to connect to the colored dvd 7.1 inputs on the back of the receiver. My question is, are there blue, brown, purple, etc... cables out there that match these inputs or do I just buy a couple composite cables. I was looking at the sony BDP-S550 for my blu ray.

Thanks

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
1. Ran composite cables from where to the TV? If you plugged the PS2 output into the VCR/DVR "in" (which is fine), the idea is to connect the yellow composite "monitor out" (2 jacks over to the right) to the TV. Then you'd have to make sure the VCR was selected on the receiver, and the appropriate input selected on the TV. Did you get audio, video, or nothing at all?

Also, you really ought to use optical from the PS2, and assign it to the input you want to use on the receiver.

2. You might get something like
http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-RCA-MULTI-TRACK-SNAKE-CABLES/dp/B000068O1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249006274&sr=8-1
the colors won't match up exactly but you should be able to work it out.

You could just buy 4 cheapo audio cables also, but it's easier to match up the jacks when you have different colors to work with.

mcintire21

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
What is the vcr/dvr out just the the left for? I'm already using both optical inputs.

Should I use the cables suggested above or 3ft Coaxial Audio/Video RCA Cable M/M RG59U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video) , or [SIZE= 12px]3ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable M/M RG6U 75ohm Gold connector (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video) [/SIZE]. Am I going to be able to tell a difference between any of them.

I see some bd players say *7.1 Digital Audio via HDMI only. Since my receiver is pass through and I have to use the analog outputs; am I not going to be able to get TrueHD or DTS-HD MA?

Thanks

Edited by mcintire21 - 8/1/2009 at 09:36 pm GMT

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The VCR out is for recording stuff from another source to VHS or a DVD recorder. Like if you had a cable box or DVR hooked up to "cable/sat", you could dump a show out to a VCR hooked up to that.

Do either of the components you are using for optical have a coax digital out also? You could move one of those to coax so you could use optical for the PS2.

For the cable, if going monoprice, I'd just get 4 of the following:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=659&seq=1&format=2

The ones you pointed to you'd have to get 8 of them since only 1 channel.

vs. the Hosa I linked to, for sound quality there's no difference at all. It's just a question whether it's worth it to you the $15 or so for something that has color coding, bundled together nicely. At least it's not $100+ like some other ridiculous cables I found on the net!

mcintire21

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
I'll definitely get the hosa if there's no quality difference.

What about my last question.

I see some bd players say *7.1 Digital Audio via HDMI only. Since my receiver is pass through and I have to use the analog inputs; am I not going to be able to get TrueHD or DTS-HD MA?

Thanks again

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You'll get TrueHD/DTS-HDMA as long as you get a newish player with 7.1 analog outs. Only older 1st/2nd gen players with 7.1 outs have issues with not having DTS-HD decode capability.

I'd look at the LG 390.

I see some bd players say *7.1 Digital Audio via HDMI only.
Those are ones that don't have the 7.1 analog outs, cheaper ones like LG 370, Sony 360.

mcintire21

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
I was looking at the sony bdp-s550 but I'll take a look at that one too. When I get back home next week, I'll post if I'm still having probs w/ the ps2. I just say that vizio has put out the vbr-100 which are selling for $200 or less and they look like they have everything I need. What do you think.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks