HT Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by LeeR, Feb 16, 2004.

1. LeeR

LeeR Auditioning

1. Is there any discernible difference between digital optical and digital coax, as I have a choice of both coming from my progressive scan DVD?

2. Should I upgrade my subwoofer speaker wire? It already sounds fine to me with the factory Sony wire provided. How much difference would I notice spending $40+ for a 12' Monster cable?

3. With all of the different types of Monster component cable (300 vs. 400, etc.), which is the best, keeping in mind that I don't have a HDTV, just regular flat screen.

4. I only have S-Video coming from my DirecTV Tivo receiver. Is there any way I can convert to component video for that?

Thanks for the help. I'm new to this.......

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Lee,

Welcome to the forum!

(1) No, there will not be a discernible difference, although some people will insist there is.

(2) Speaker wire is fine if it is simple, not too thin in diameter. What gauge is the one you're using? Fancy wiring to the speakers will not improve your sound.

(3) See (2).

(4) S-Video is component. S-Video is what's recorded on DVDs. So, don't worry for the moment, it will take a very sophisticated S-Video-to-component decoder to make your picture better.

Cees

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

(2): You won't notice any difference with a different standard interconnect unless something is wrong with one of them.

(3) Try Radio Shack gold series cable. Cheaper than Monster and work just as well.

That being said, Monster-brand cable has aquired quite the reputation for overcharging on it's cables & interconnects.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Lee. Welcome to HTF!

(1) In general, the digital connections are the least-sensitive to the cable. I have used both and cannot tell a difference. My advice: look at the different inputs you have on your reciever and select the cable type that you have the most spare inputs

Note: I believe the Tivo only offers Optical output so 'balance' this by using a coaxial-digital cable from your DVD player.

(2) The "Pack In" cables are usually thin, un-shielded wires. You really want to use coax cable with RCA plugs. You have some options here:

- Make your own with CATV coax and 2 "F-to-RCA" adaptors from Radio Shack.

- Buy a long audio cable from your favorite department store. Make sure the cable is as thick/thicker than your CATV coax.

- Order a custom cable. These are usually cheaper than store-bought cables, but use production-studio grade coax and connectors. Look for links at the top of this forum.

(3) The Custom Cable sites will sell you a cable starting at about $50 that can rival the high-end Monster ZX3000 cables that run $220. You are skipping all the retail-store overhead.

(4) Home Theater magazine compared all 3 video cable types on a 50" RPTV. Here is what they concluded:

Composite (Single Yellow RCA cable) Baseline quality
    SVideo (2-wires with funny "Keyboard" connector) - 20% improvement over Composite
    Component (3 Composite cables) - 25% improvement over Composite

They also noted that the difference was LESS for smaller displays and MORE for larger televisions.

So I'd standardize on SVideo if I was you.

Enjoy your stay.

5. LeeR

LeeR Auditioning

Hey, guys. Thanks so much for the quick replys. Much appreciated help.

Lee