HT question for townhouse owners

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin-S, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

How do you engage in this hobby while occupying a townhouse. I find that to really get the movie theatre feel from surround tracks the volume has to be turned up, however, in a townhouse it would seem that doing such a thing would only get neighbours complaining. How do you guys/gals do it?

One other thing; how do you fit a large screen set in to some of these types of places? I have been looking at pictures of townhouse interiors over the net recently and most of the living/family room areas look pretty small for a large set. The reason I'm asking is that, due to continual cutbacks where I work, I am being forced to move in order to maintain employment. I presently own a house in my present location but in the new location there is no way I can afford a house.....not unless I want to commute for two hours a day.

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

i Rebuilt the rooms with added soundproofing. It keeps the complaints to a minimum.
    (subwoofers go through drywall like it don't exist; a small one with bass shakers will give you a good rumble without death threaths
    Good luck
    Grant

3. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

I live in a townhome with neighbors on both sides. My basement is finished and is my defacto HT room. Because of the dimensions of the room, I can only listen to movies down to about -35db or so - any more and it bothers ME, nevermind the neighbors.
    Last night, for the first time (I have lived here for a year), I got my first "thud thud thud" of disapproval from the neighbor closest to the sub while trying to listen to LOTR at -40db. You know that scene in the beginning where Sauron is defeated and that low end pulse is sent across the land?.....
    I had to replace my fillings....[​IMG]
    Michael.

4. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Thanks for the responses. I thought I would get a few more but people who own HT's must be mostly house owners. [​IMG] It looks like my concerns about using this type of equipment in a townhouse setting have a lot of validity. Well, I'll just have to wait and see what I can find in the hell known as the lower mainland.

5. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

My HT is in the finished basement of my TH. There is a cement foundation behind the drywall. I have never gotten any complaints. But, a lot depends on who your neighbors are. On one side I have a family about my age. On the other is an older couple. The younger family also has a HT - although not quite as loud as mine. Every now and then I can hear it but it is very faint. We have a mutual "no complaining about HT" rule. The people on the other side have never said anything

You won't need to play the HT as loud as you might in a bigger house.

6. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Well, I rarely run my HT after 10 p.m., and frankly, the kids next door better not complain, cuz I've put up with their gol-durned heathen music for the past 8 years....

Rattled their cages a little with the Pearl Harbor attack scene the other day, though. Scared their dog witless!

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

hell my downstairs neighbor's sub cuts right through the floor, I can only imagine what my shiva 12 does to their walls.

8. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

When I first got into the hobby we were in a townhouse. Luckily it was fully concrete downstairs and no walls were shared with the neighbours so I could pretty well crank it without anyone noticing outside since it was mostly underground.

But, if you do share walls make sure you don't crank it too late into the night. Having lousy neighbours is one of the things that accelerated our move into a fully detached home.

Patrick

9. Michael Nelson

Well, basically there are two options; 1) Screw the neighbors, or 2) Get used to lower listening levels. I've chosen the latter; my poor Energy sub had never been turned higher than 3. [​IMG] Additionally, after 10pm I use earphones.

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

But, if you do share walls make sure you don't crank it too late into the night. Having lousy neighbours is one of the things that accelerated our move into a fully detached home.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Probably won't have to worry about the late night thing since most likely I will be working nights or afternoon shift. I would like to be in a detached home but moving from a depressed northern city to Vancouver doesn't make that seem too likely. I might be able to swing it if I lived in Abottsford or Chilliwack but I think the commute would be too long.
    1) Screw the neighbors
    [​IMG] Problem is.......they could do the same for me. No use starting off on the wrong foot in a new community. There is going to be enough stress as it is.......assuming I decide to go, of course. [​IMG]

11. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I live in a Townhouse, but I guess we must have pretty thick walls or the neigbours just don't care because I like my system quite loud and you can clearly hear everything outside. I guess it just depends on the layout of your place. As for having large sets, I would never have a problem as we have a fairly large living area. I plan on buying a 47" soon, so again I guess it just depends on what the layout is.

12. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Yeah, I would say that layout has a lot to do with it. I live in a townhouse, but I only have a neighbor attached to me on one side. My TV and speakers (including an SVS) are against the wall I don't share. My neighbor is gone on business trips for long periods of time, which is great, because then I can pretty much go as loud as I want. But even when she has been here, I've played pretty loud and never gotten a complaint. Much different than my old apartment where I was afraid to go above a whisper!