HT quality Headphones for less then $150??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rod Melotte, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Are there inclosed headphones that I can get for less then $100? less then $150? I'm looking for something that I can use when the wife and kids are asleep that will still let me feel that I'm watching something special.

Thanks

2. Phong

Phong Agent

Try the forums at headwize.com. It is the HTF or DVDTalk of headphones.

3. Alexis

Alexis Stunt Coordinator

Sony 7506 or V6, not the V600

Grado SR60, SR80, SR125

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  5. Phong

Phong Agent

With my suggestion above of trying the Headwize forums, I'll also throw in my headphone opinion.
    The Sony MDR-V6 are probably the best closed headphones for under $100. (They are about $60 shipped from etronics.com.) Isolation is tremendous, and the bass curve seems to extend down forever. They are bright out of the box, but after some burn-in time they mellow out.
    The V6s are extremely accurate, but not necessarily "musical", since the accuracy tends to accentuate tape-hiss and other anomalies.
    The Grados are also wonderful and similarly priced, but they are not closed.
    If you do get the Sony V6s, consider ordering new ear-pads for them from Beyer (I can give you the phone number and part number if you're interested.) They are velour and slightly thicker. The replacements look better than the pleather that they replace, and offer much better ventelation so your ears don't overheat (something the V6s are notorious for).
    BTW: The Sony 7605s and V6s are the same headphones, except the 7605s are labeled "professional", have a higher price tag, and have a gold plug instead of nickle. And yes, avoid the V600s as mentioned above.

6. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

The resounding answer looks like Sony V6. NOT V600 which EVERYBODY says are hidious. You can get V6's for $61 which includes shipping.

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Let me put in a vote for the AKG 240's. They're a great closed headphone and are standard equipment in most recording studios. Very good bang for the buck. Great sound and they're comfortable.