HT pix & threat of theft...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin Dunn, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    Every day, a few forum members will post their HT pictures on a Web site, and post a link on the message boards here. I've been tempted to do this, but fear that it may serve as an invitation to thieves...

Many of our profiles show our real names and city/metro area. That's already enough information for thieves to locate your house, or at least seriously narrow down the list of addresses. So I refrain from putting my pictures up or boasting about my setup, because I don't want to invite thieves to make off with my stuff...

Am I the only one paranoid enough to worry about this???

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

not really. however, if it's a concern for you change your city. you can put anything in there. you can also create a fake name. my real name is fern langsden.

kevin t

3. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

I suppose if you live in a Metro area there could be some cause for concern. But if you live in the sticks, like me, then there is usually nothing to worry about. Have you you had a problem with theft before?

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Note to self: Kevin T = Langsden. Next on list, location. His equipment is as good as mine! hahahaha!

5. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I worry about that too. 12 years ago when I was young, un-married and living with a couple of the guys in my band, we threw lots of big parties. Over a one year period we were robbed 3 times.
    These days I'm very careful. Between my DVDs, home theater equipment, guitars, computers and networking equipment and telescope equipment I'm pretty damn paranoid. Here's what I do to minimize the threat of theft:
    - I have a 24/7 monitored alarm system. All doors and windows are covered and I have interior motion/heat detectors.
    - I do not use my real name online, and I do not have people over to the house until I feel like I know them very well. This is the most difficult thing for me, because I'd like to live a more "open" lifestyle with people I meet online (in house SVS demos, etc). I just don't feel comfortable with it.
    - I have wireless X10 cameras around the perimeter of the house and in select interior locations. They all feed to a central monitoring computer. I can check any of the cameras from the comfort of my home office, or anywhere on the internet with a web browser.
    - I have two big indoor dogs. Their barking and big teeth in the window is a deterrent. I'm sure that they would be good "guard" dogs, but truthfully I worry more about them getting hurt in a robbery much more than I worry about loosing any of my stuff. If someone ever hurt my dogs I would quit my job, hunt them down and do things to them that would make The Marquis De Sade puke. I digress... [​IMG]
    - I telecommute. I only have to go into the office once a week for meetings, so the house is rarely unattended.
    - Theft insurance. I also take pictures of my major stuff and put the pictures on a remote server along with a serial number database that I update regularly.
    - I have explosives buried in the yard near entry points (the homeowner's association tried to make me get rid of them when some kid blew his leg off trying to get his basketball). Just kidding about this one. [​IMG]
    I have a couple of other tricks up my sleeve, but they are souper sekret. [​IMG]

6. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

You know, I've been wondering about this too. As a rule of thumb, it's best to never talk about what you have at home and especially how much it cost. The best part is that no one has any way to know what you've got unless they're your friends or family members.

It's sad that we have to worry about this, but it's a reality.

7. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Maybe a better question should be:

Should scumbags worry about going to a house of someone they know nothing about?

8. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

scott,
    if you wanna come looking for my gear, i live in paduka, kentucky. [​IMG]
    kevin t

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I don't worry....I've got guns and lots of them.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

10. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

11. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

I have a 9 year old miniature Daschund.
    She won't let anybody in.[​IMG]

12. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Kevin as much as I'd like to own your equipment (as its probably much better than mine) my morals and weak girly muscles wouldn't allow me to steal big shiny boxes from a soul.

Edit- Damn John haha! Your house is a fortress. All you need is the Red Queen and you'll be set! Or is that your super secret?

I think a modest home alarm system and good theft insurance would be enough for me. But then again I've never been robbed.

13. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

actually i was just playing...my real name is kevin. fern langsden just sounded too funny when i made it up. and i don't live in paduka, ky (though i have been through there).

kevin t

14. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

This has given me a moment or two of concern as well.

But if someone's gonna break in and heist my 20" TV, my entry-level Bose speakers, my Goldstar VCR, and my collection of religious VHS tapes, what can I do?

Jon

15. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

16. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

I'm insured. If they want to take them from me, more power too them.

17. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

19. Scott L

Scott L Producer

20. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

With a monitored alarm system and the weight, bulk and amount of my equipment, I don't worry about it much. They won't get much of the equipment out the door in working order before the cops showed up (at least the really valuable stuff anyways).

Still I don't give out my last name or my address.

But I don't know what I'd do if someone stole my sub. It's one of a kind and I really don't want to spend another week building a new one.

This problem will just compound itself when I build the rest of my speakers. Insurance settlements can't replace the time I put into building the stuff.