What's new

HT PC? or DVD-recorder/media receiver? (1 Viewer)

akhbari

Auditioning
Folks, for a month or so now I've been contemplating this choice:

Spend some bucks on a real Wintel based PC with plenty of HD space, good quality component-out video card, DVD-burner, 802.11b network card, and a piece of home entertainment control piece of software like ShowShifter?

...or...

Buy an already made DVD-recorder like Panasonic's DMR-HS2 (around $800) and HP's ew5000 digital media receiver (around $250).

Obviously each approach has its advantages and disadvantages. Being the techie that I am I'm leaning towards the 1st approach, but the wife keeps reminding of not making the area around our TV look like a computer lab.

What does everyone think? Given today's products, attractive PC chasis, low-power motherboards, quiet fans, etc, can I make option #1 work? Or do I have to just bite the bullet and go with #2?

If #1, then any suggestions as to sites or products that make my task a bit easier?

Thanks alot in advance.

-R-

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I would do option #1, just be prepared for a little tweaking and initial set up time.

My only suggestion to help with the WAF is the Shuttle bare bones PCs, those little guys are wonders for HTPCs. I like the SN41G2 myself (AMD), but there are good Intel ones too.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I would suggest option #1 as well, i really do like the shuttle pc's they are small and quite powerful when set up.

but i wuuld lean towards a nice ATX case that looks like a part of the home theater. I've noticed that women don't mind stylish electronics ;). okay, so my reccomendation is the accent case from digital connection. it's a bit spendy but it's very stylish and it's a full ATX case which keeps there from being any restrictions in your hardware.
bytheby, the built in LCD screen is great for techies :D.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...ases/ht200.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks