HT PC? or DVD-recorder/media receiver?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by akhbari, Apr 28, 2003.

1. akhbari

akhbari Auditioning

Apr 27, 2003
    Folks, for a month or so now I've been contemplating this choice:

Spend some bucks on a real Wintel based PC with plenty of HD space, good quality component-out video card, DVD-burner, 802.11b network card, and a piece of home entertainment control piece of software like ShowShifter?

Buy an already made DVD-recorder like Panasonic's DMR-HS2 (around $800) and HP's ew5000 digital media receiver (around $250).

Obviously each approach has its advantages and disadvantages. Being the techie that I am I'm leaning towards the 1st approach, but the wife keeps reminding of not making the area around our TV look like a computer lab.

What does everyone think? Given today's products, attractive PC chasis, low-power motherboards, quiet fans, etc, can I make option #1 work? Or do I have to just bite the bullet and go with #2?

If #1, then any suggestions as to sites or products that make my task a bit easier?

Thanks alot in advance.

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Feb 22, 2002
    I would do option #1, just be prepared for a little tweaking and initial set up time.

My only suggestion to help with the WAF is the Shuttle bare bones PCs, those little guys are wonders for HTPCs. I like the SN41G2 myself (AMD), but there are good Intel ones too.
  3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Jan 8, 2003
    I would suggest option #1 as well, i really do like the shuttle pc's they are small and quite powerful when set up.

but i wuuld lean towards a nice ATX case that looks like a part of the home theater. I've noticed that women don't mind stylish electronics [​IMG]. okay, so my reccomendation is the accent case from digital connection. it's a bit spendy but it's very stylish and it's a full ATX case which keeps there from being any restrictions in your hardware.
    bytheby, the built in LCD screen is great for techies [​IMG].