HT out of site

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Ritch, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Rob Ritch

Rob Ritch Agent

All,

My parents have asked me to find them a replacement for their old Sony stereo system. Basically they want to be able to hide the system out of site in the bottom of their TV cabinet. Their existing system is one of the all in one systems with tuner, amp. tape, and turntable all in one piece of equipment that is made to look like seperate. In addition the system has 10" 3-way tower speakers. My Dad would like to upgrade to sorround, but my mom says NO REAR SPEAKERS. As best I can get from them these are the requiremts

1. Receiver will fit into area 10" tall by 30" wide.

2. very small front speakers that are not noticable.
    sitting on top of TV cabinet and curio cabinet (approx 5" - 6" tall).

3. No rear surround speakers.

4. Sub ok as long as can be hidden behind either corner TV cabinet or behind couch.

5. Center channel ok as long as it fits in TV cabinet above TV (approsx 8" x 30".

6. Budget of about $600.00.

7. Good music quality, they may or may not use it with the video source on a regular basis.

I want to set them up with the best system I can in that price range that meets these criteria. I was thinking the small Bose Acustimass 6 speakers with the sub, but it includes the rears and is to expensive (450.00). I saw a set of JBL scs135i that look good as well but the price is still a little high ($400.00) If I go with either of these sets that will only leave me with $150 - $200 for a receiver. I have noticed that receivers in this price range are a little lacking on inputs, in particular S-Video. I have also seen that Sony has a couple of HTiBs that might work, but I want to make sure that they are decent systems.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can look at that will meet the requirements that they have set. This is a little different than what I have set up, my requirements were almost the opposite than theirs when I set up my system.

TIA

-Rob

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would take a look at the Kenwood or Sony HTiBs in that price range and specifications, however, "good music quality" and "HTiB" in that price range do exactly go together. Just leave out the rear speakers when you install it. This will give them a source and receiver in one.

In truth, if they are not going to listen to video sources much, there is less point in even having a center channel for music, and without rears, there is no point in even having 5.1 capability. I would recommend an inexpensive stereo tuner, a source of their choice, two small bookshelf speakers and a small sub. This will give much better music quality, but it will be tough to find all of this in that price range though.

3. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

You have an impossible set of goals.

5-6" high speakers will have no bass extension, so voices will be split between them and the woofer. The effect will be very distracting on music.

Examples using a single "full range" driver will also lack the high end, veiling the music in a wall of mud.

Small, cheap sub-woofers also lack in performance (a small box that goes low and loud requires a long-throw driver and powerful amplifier neither of which meshes with low cost).

It's probably also worth noting that a couple of decent channels playing a matrix-encoded sound track will give you nearly 180 degrees of sound; while pulling the front channels off a discrete track will give you considerably less. IOW, you might get more surround sound with a two channel setup than a HTIB and just the front three.

In conclusion, your father will probably be happiest with the speakers he has now.

Upgrades compatable with domestic tranquility will need to involve a different approach. Perhaps your mother can live with inwall speakers or those that resemble objets d'art (I can't spell French words) like those from Norh. Or ceiling mounted surround speakers.

4. Rob Ritch

Rob Ritch Agent

They have not set easy goals that is for sure. Basically the big speakers have to go, and no in-wall speakers either. A friend of mine has the Bose Accustimass and they do a pretty decent job with both video and music. My Mom and Dad neither one are audiphiles, they just want to be able to listen to music and TV. That being said I can not go to them and say that they need big speakers or spend tons of money for what they want. Maybe the Bose or JBL's are the way to go and if I can get them to go maybe a little more for the receiver I can achieve most of their goals. I guess I will keep hunting.

-Rob

5. Rob Ritch

Rob Ritch Agent

Just an update, I think I have found a system that will meet there goals. I have been looking on line at Best Buy and found the following.
    Speakers:
    JBL SC135SI. This is the center channel, 2 mains, 2 surrounds, and a powered sub. The price is $400.00
    http://www.bestbuy.com/HomeAudioVideo/Speakers/MultiSpeakerSystems.asp?m=1&cat=15&scat=23
    Receiver:
    Pioneer VSX-D411. This seems to be a decent receiver, it does NOT have S-Video inputs or outputs, but that is not a big issue. The Hitachi 32" that they have now only has 1 video input that can be either composite or S-Video, not both, so I am having to use composite for everything right now anyway since the Dish receiver is the only thing with S-Video. They plan to upgrade to a 32" Wega when this one dies and that has all the needed inputs on the set. The price is $200.00
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11101299&m=1&cat=3&scat=4
    Like I said it meets most of the goals that were set The price is right, the speakers are small enough to not be noticalbe, the sub will fit in the corner behind the TV cabinet. Now I need to go to the local store and actually demo the two to see how they sound. Let me know what you all think about these choices. Thanks for the advice
    -Rob

6. Rob Ritch

Rob Ritch Agent