What's new

HT on a budget...how'd I do? (1 Viewer)

Constructive criticism is appreciated...if needed.

Here's my set-up.

TV- 32 Sony Wega FS100 (This will be upgraded soon...hopefully.)
Receiver- Sony DE685
Towers- (2) Polk Audio R30
Surround- (2) Polk Audio RT15i
Center- (1) Polk Audio CSi20
Sub- DLS 10" / 100 watt (Partsexpress)
DVD- EKK! Still using my PS2...at least it is an optical connection with SVid (First thing to upgrade before the TV)

Any thoughts?

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
I say you did great. The POLKs are not entry level. As for the PS2 being the dvd player... thats fine. Just as you stated you have S-video for the wire and optical connection. How do you like the sounds? Thats what is important;)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Not too shabby. I'd look at a different receiver though. Sony receivers don't have a great reputation around here, and there are some great receivers available in the sub $400 price range. But I would still stick to your original plan of upgrading the DVD and TV first. The Panasonic RP-62 (and it's predecessor, the RP-56) come to mind as great faroudja based progressive scan players available online for around $150.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the responses guys. Being new to the forum I didn't realize not many people were high on Sony receivers.
Glad I found this site, but at the same time wish that I would have found it sooner.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since you don't have an HD capable TV, If you want a cheap decent DVD player, Costco has been carrying the Panny RV32 for $99.

I'd upgrade the receiver before the TV, but I also listen to more music than watch movies.

Ok guys...here goes. Forgive me for being cheap and trying to "cut corners".

Would there be any advantages (besides saving $$) or disadvantages in returning the R30s and replacing them with the R20 bookshelves and having those as my main L/Rs and putting them on 28" stands? The specs are almost identical. Same two drivers (Mid 6.5" dynamic balance, tweeter 3/4" dynamic balance dome tweeter). Frequency response is different and the R20s are 150 watts as opposed to the R30s at 100 watts. Difference in cost including the stands would be around $140 = new DVD.

Also would it be a good idea to replace my RT15is with the RT15s (not sure how much of a difference between the two)

Thanks again!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If the sub is doing fine, it's a tough call on the speakers. The R20 only seems to give up 5hz on the low end, in which case, I would be setting both of them to small, so my inclination would be to opt for the R20s.

Replace RT15s with RT15s? Do you mean RT15i vs RTi15? If so, not going to be a ton of difference.

My choice would be to maybe wait a while, and swap out the mains for RTi28s or RTi38s. Look for president's day sales :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks