What's new

HT newbie buying widescreen help! (1 Viewer)

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't plan on buying one so soon but our TV just went boom and other than what i've learned from here and when I bought my HTIAB I'm still a newbie at HT stuff.

What I want:

HDTV
Wide Screen

Hookups for:
Xbox
Ps2
Gamecube
etc..
DVD player
VCR
Onkyo HT in a box

Perfered one with S video and some sort of audio out so i can run cable direct to the TV then audio out to my recevier. A way to stretch cable tv/games/etc.. that are in non widescreen format would be nice to but not required.

Budget: Cheaper the better under $2000

As for size I'm unsure atm. Always of the thought that bigger is better hehe.

Bob_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
chris,

size is not always better. but depending on room size and all you can buy a very good rptv for 1500-2000. I have a toshiba 46h83 beautiful and you can get one for 1499 at best buy. it will do every thing that you want it to

bob

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
One question though. I haven't found any lists of what type of jacks it has. Since I want to be able to run my cable direct to the TV then audio OUT of the tv to the recevier so I can use my speakers when watching cable tv too. Problem with my old TV was all it had was AV in. The 46" one you listed above and another 46" Sony were 2 I had been looking at on Cnet and I am pretty sure the circut city here has one of em.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
It's practically impossible to find any TV (other than tiny kitchen sets) these days without an audio output. Don't worry about that. Worry about having DVI or HDMI input, & enough component video inputs. Hopefully your Onkyo receiver has enough video inputs to handle switching if the TV doesn't have enough inputs, or vice versa. (Either the receiver or TV can be the main hub of the system, with extra inputs on either usually able to supplement the other.)

The manufacturers web sites will provide input/output information, often with pictures/diagrams of the actual jacks. Sometimes in a separate PDF or in a downloadable user's manual.

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys big help. I did run across some HDTV's without audio out which I thought was odd (atleast on the spec page it was listed as none) which is why I asked. With this info and some I'm asking on in the basic forum I'm gonna be going TV and speaker stand hunting end of the week I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks