HT Music Dual setup use same AMP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Jiang, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Martin Jiang

Martin Jiang Agent

I am planning to setup my HT equipment with a tube preamp dedicated for music listening. However, I am not sure what I can do to use the same speaker. Here is my equipment

outlaw 1050 as preamp for HT
    Sherbourn 5/1500 for amp
    Kef speaker

Now how do I fit a seperated tube preamp in this system but still use the sherbourn as a solid state amp and send the singal to the speaker? Can I use a reverse "Y" adapter to send the preamp signal into the sherbourn?

Thanks

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I am in the same boat as you are where I want to integrate a tube pre into my HT system solely for 2 ch listening. The way I am planning is to have the preout of my L/R mains (going to the amp) to go through the tube pre instead of directly to the amp. During calibration I'll set the output levels on the tube pre and not change them afterwards (just like a powered sub). Later on the receiver will do all the volume adjustment without ever touching the tube pre. This way I'll have some of the tube benefits for my two channel listening and HT. The only drawback is the tube pre will be turned on even for movie watching. But I guess I can live with that. Thats my suggestion but I think you want to integrate the tube pre in such a way as to just turn it on for two channel listening and not for HT viewing. For that I think you'll have to get some kind of switching device to switch between the two preamps (outlaw and tube pre)

3. Martin Jiang

Martin Jiang Agent

Yogi,
    I, on the other hand would like to keep the HT and music totoaly seperate. This is what I planned:
    CD -> Tube Pre -> Amp -> Speaker (L/R)
    DVD -> Receiver Pre -> Amp -> Speaker ( 5 channel )
    There are two concerns, if I want to use the same AMP, then can I use a reverse "Y" split to send the preout sognal to the AMP? Obviously if both HT receiver and Tube Pre are on then I am in deep trouble.
    Or I can use a seperate AMP, but in order to use the same speaker, I have to connect one same speaker to two different AMP, maybe some kind of source selector for the speaker?
    It is intriguing.... [​IMG]

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

How about a source selector between the amp and the receiver/tube-pre to select what signal gets fed into the amp? Or a source selector between the amps and the speaker if using two amps.

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I think the smartest setup is to do like Yogi said,
    connect all the analog inputs to the 2-channel preamp; CD, turntable, and the L&R analog outputs from the 1050 for HT. The L&R analog outputs of the 2-channel preamp go to the L&R inputs of the Sherbourn 5-channel amp, with the rest of the Sherbourn 5-channel amp inputs fed from the 1050 analog output ports.

This way when you want to listen to music, the HT equipment can all be turned off (except for the Sherbourn amp) and won't affect the sound quality of your 2-channel. My 2-channel preamp has a 12-volt trigger that turns on my 5-channel amp.

Only when using the system for HT will all the HT equipment and the 2-channel preamp be powered up.

If your 2-channel preamp has an HT-bypass you're set, if it doesn't, then as Yogi said you will need to mark the calibration position of the 2-channel volume control for use in HT mode. Many times this will actually be the 12 o'clock position for the 2-channel preamp volume control.

I've been doing it this way for the last 4 years with great results.

6. Martin Jiang

Martin Jiang Agent

Bruce and Yogi,

I am confused. For CD music I am going to use the analog output and connect to preamp, then from preamp to the L/R of sherbourn amp. For HT I am using the digital output from DVD and feed into outlaw, outlaw then send to Sherbourn using its preout. Now it also has preout for L/R channel, what do I do? there are two plugs but only ONE hole! Am I missing something here?

Regards

7. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Martin,

8. Philip-j

Philip-j Auditioning

I have just skimmed over these posts, but I used separate pre's for music and ht by utilizing the distinct balanced/unblanced inputs on my byrston amp. I run the outputs from my processor to the unbalanced inputs on the bryston amp and concurrently run balanced lines from my preamp to the balanced inputs on the amp. I then only have to flip a switch on the back of the bryston to match up with either the balanced or unbalanced inputs. It works great, but your amp may not incorporate this feature.

My set up:

Mirage speakers (om7's, omc2, bps 400 sub, m5's)
    Anthem avm 20 pre/pro
    Classe audio dr4 preamp
    Bryston 9bst
    Linn genki cd player.etc