What's new

HT Meet in Toronto? (1 Viewer)

Miles_W

Second Unit
I am concerned with the number of audio drop outs that occur when the bitstream is dropped between the DVD player and pre-pro. I am wondering if it is a pioneer problem or a pre-pro problem... so I would like to test it. ( This problem is very disconcerting when listening a close to reference levels...)
Thanks
Miles

Miles_W

Second Unit
Okay so the list is...
edited 1/16/2001
Andrew R ( Andy_vx)
Ryan Peddle
Lou Stysma
Craig A
Elliott Willschick
Norm Lalonde
Walter Feddern
Brent L
Massimo Nigro
Eric Strong
Kevin Royal and Friend
Joel Cohen
Ned
David Ely has informed me of prior commitments so hopefully next time!
Ned you're in if you are still interested...
and Last but not least ...
Wayne Murphy
Kevin what is your friends name???
David did you get the new job( fingers crossed!)
okay I am nominating Ryan to come up with the initial agenda
thanks
Miles
we need to get hoping also I need to know who needs rides from where so we can try and arrange pickups...
Miles

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Well, glad to see we have the finalized list. As it stands right now I'm getting a ride from Norm Lalonde. So providing nothing drastic happens I'm set.
TTYL all
Andrew
P.s, Thanks again Norm!! :)
------------------
My Growing DVD Collection
ICQ# 69241437

Miles_W

Second Unit
Ned I'm going to put you on the stand by list it's just including myself the list is up to 15 so... If David Ely cannot attend I will add yo to the list I am really sorry but I do have a little of a space constraint! I'm hoping that these events can become more frequent!
Let me email David and see if he has any news...
thanks
Miles

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
First on my agenda is to find out where everyone is located and who has rides and who doesn't.
So if everyone would email me there location and if they have or need a ride I can organize transportation.
Just email:
NAME
RELATIVE LOCATION (eg; Whitby, Pickering etc)
WHETHER YOU NEED A RIDE OR NOT
Email to [email protected]
I will get any addresses I need afterward.
Also, I need to have a little poll:
Go out for lunch or go out for Dinner?
That way I can choose a couple of Restuarants in the Pickering Area and then decide as a group where we would like to go.
The rest of the event will be dependant on a Speaker Company tour, and The Flea Market thing. But I'll leave that till next week to figure out.
I will also start a list of what people are bringing.
Also email me ([email protected]) what HT items you are bringing it would also help to organize to event and maybe help us get to know eachother by associating some of the equipment. I'll be bringing my dvd player (Miles I haven't had any audio dropouts with it) and will be bringing my Avia test disc and Rat Shack SPL meter if needed.
So to wrap up this long message,
Email me with:
NAME
PREFFERENCE OF LUNCH OR DINNER
ANY EQUIPMENT YOU ARE BRINGING
After that I will send out an Emailer of the info that I have received.
Talk to ya later.
------------------
Oops...I dropped my eardrums
could you pick them up for
me

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
BTW...just to say in advance that I am highly excited about this event. Ill make sure to bring the camera so that we can share the "H.T.F T.O. EVENT" with the rest of the forum.
Thanks to Miles and Andy who brought this subject up.
------------------
me

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
So far this is the tentative agenda for the HT TO meet.
So I thought of it like this:
1) Hit the flea market,
2) then go to a dealer (this way if any of us buy dvd's we can use them to audition equip)
3) Then I suggest we go out for a meal, somewhere nice, we can sit and talk ht,
4) then head back to your place, do some demo scene and listen to music.
5) Then demo remotes and talk remotes
6) do some equip test...my dvd to yours (the audio dropout thing) thenCraigs McIntosh MC7106 amp and anything else.
7) Maybe have a little Q&A
8) watch a flick, Starwars TPM sounds like a great idea
if anyone has any suggestions please add.
Miles and I would like to keep anything to do with the agenda on here istead of going with a huge mailer.
But as with the transportation stuff please still email me the stuff I asked for above in another post. [email protected] want to make sure everyone has a ride
------------------
me

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, Wayne Murphy managed to get in. He's a buddy of mine, lives just down the street from me here in Orangeville. We'll be going down togerther and pick up Andy on the way.
As for lunch or diner, I suggest we go out for lunch, then when we get to Myles' house, we can stay there the rest of the evening. We can order pizza or chinese food or whatever and not have to waste time going out to a restaurant. At least that's my opinion.
Also, Ryan, good idea, I was just about to ask if anyone had a camera to take pictures. I know Ron will love getting some, to post on the forum.
Sounds like a pretty good agenda to me for our first meet.
Norm Lalonde
P.S. I know were pretty far away from Toronto, way up here in Orangeville, but me and Wayne Murphy may be willing to host a future meet, combining our 2 homes. Wayne is currently setting up his home theater in his basement, complete with a front projector, while I may take a few more years to work on mine, I do have a good system in my living room. My system consists of:
Toxhiba 40" widescreen HD TV
Kenwood VR2080 receiver
PSB speaker system
Panasonic RV60 DVD player
Pioneer LD player
Bell ExpressVu receiver (soon to be HD receiver)
And I have a library of about 300 DVDs and some 40 LDs.
The problem is getting everyone up here. :)
We'll se what happens in the future. (Also still have to talk to Wayne about this) :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hey - it's shaping up nicely.
As I emailed Ryan I am getting a Smart CS-3X Jr this week.
This allows the addition of a rear centre channel for EX surround. If Miles is game I can bring it along and extra speakers as well to demo it.
Later

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very interested in the remote tests. I wish I could get my hands on 2 of the Marantz remotes. I've got to many toys in my system and I'm the only one who can figure out the remote. I'm hoping to have my theatre set up in a month or two.
My system
Yamaha 2090
Panasonic DVD
Denon LD with DD
Technics 110 CD jukebox
Tecnics single player CD(very old but plays scratched discs)
JVC vhs
Klipsch Fronts and Centre
Clements Front effects
Clements Bipolar rears
Mirage sub
AMI sub
Ultra 64
Super NES......hey the wife loves Tetris
And finally Zenith Pro880 CRT projector
with a 100 inch 1.3 gain screen (I forget the maker)
PS sorry I guess I was posting incorrectly to outside this group/thread

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Wow Ryan, the agenda sounds great! I am also in favour of going to the flea market, dealer, then lunch. Everyone getting together over lunch first, before heading to Miles' house would be a great way for all of us to talk and get to know eachother... Once were at Miles' house, we'll be busy watching a lot of stuff.
If we get hungry later on, well then there's always delivery food. :)
Hmm, I feel bad though that I'm not able to bring anything. Only working a couple nights a week, doesn't allow me to buy much
frown.gif
Oh well, maybe at the next meet.
Oh, just one question. Is this a BYOB + other things, or a "everythings supplied" type get together? Miles, I guess you could let me know.
Lates everyone.
Andrew
------------------
My Growing DVD Collection...As of 01/16/2001 it's at 51
ICQ# 69241437

Joel Cohen

Auditioning
With respect to the remore comparison, I can bring a Crestron STS-1550C to the gathering. Be advised, it will not work at your house as it is RF and requires a CP unit.
If you guys are interested, just let me know. At least you can see what it looks like and examine my programming paradigm.
Joel

Miles_W

Second Unit
Lets see now...
Joel, Crestron... cool - super remote It would be very nice to see ( provided you don't mind bringing it)
Lou, Smart Jr... again very cool... but you would need as you have mentioned need to bring speaker(s) actually how many extra does it require I have some... Does it require extra amplification as well I only have one unused marantz ma 500 mono block.
Lou another thing what are the hours for the Flea market?? do we want to eat first (or shop first).
We need to try and locate the dealer/restaurant so they are not to far and we are not spending so much time in transit... as I have mentioned I only know of 2 dealers in what could be considered the immediate area there is whitby audio ( which most of you easterners have been to ) or musonic ( just in Scarborough) and about 10 minutes from my place... So if we go to the flea market first, then lunch, then head to the dealers, then my place we can probably minimize the driving...
As for supper if we order pizza / Chinese / what ever we can go dutch... I will buy pop and stuff If you want booze/beer BYOB and make sure you have a designated driver ( I am a responsible host!!!)
thanks we need to finalize this
Craig, do you have a ride yet? I would be interested to hear that amp!
Miles

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Once I get my car fixed( this week) I'll be into picking up a couple people in and around Scarborough,Richmond Hill, Markham area(I live in Uxbridge).
Don't mind the windshield :)
or the rust :)
I'll bring my Toshiba 2200 along for the "dropout test" too.
Email was sent to Paradigm this morning...sorry but I've been sick for 36 hours....I hate the flu...Let's see what they say.
The flea market opens at 8:30 I think. Michele opens DVD Wave before 9a.m.
I think it make more sense to head to Whitby audio instead of back to Scarborough...
I may be looking at a new center channel(maybe LOUs if he moves up :)) maybe the new 370, or lcr series. Just depends on my computer upgrade $..
Anybody with the THX wow disc ...that would be cool..
Orangeville meet in the middle of spring or last summer would be a great way to get away.....Any camping grounds around.....Make it a weekend thing if you are OK with that..
Hopefully make some friends in the process..
The Patriot
Anything else you need please Email me...I'd be happy to make an extra trip :)
Brent L
Maybe dinner somewhere on #2 ..something like Kelseys...Not too expensive.....
If you want I'll grab the pop and chip(?) that stuff. I work at a grocery store so that won't be a problem.
How about a cable comparo.....I use midline, but sombody else may use really highend......let's put it to rest :)
------------------
Closing in quickly on 2000:)...Posts that is :)
{ well not quite as quick now:)

Miles_W

Second Unit
Brent, I still think we would be better off going to musonic, they are closer than Whitby audio, but I'll let the masses dictate... As for pop and chips... If you pick them up just tell us how much and we'll go dutch! I would rather eat take out for supper if possible than visiting a resturant twice...
Paradigm I think that we should leave till next time...
hey but we are making progress...
Miles
edit 1/17/2001
Hey 200 posts...
tongue.gif

Walter Feddern

Stunt Coordinator
Having Lunch out somewhere, then ordering in dinner sounds like a good plan to me.
I have the DTS demo disc #3 and a DTS Audio sampler disc I can bring if anyone is interested. I also have DTS CD's from Dianna Krall and Sting (audio only). I would be interested in hearing other DTS/DVD-Audio/other format audio discs if anyone has others.
Walter.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The Flea Market is open from 08:30 am to 5:00 pm.
The die hards get to the booth right at the beginning - don't ask how I know this. The crowds get large around 10:00 am.
As far as the Smart Surround goes - external amplification is required - you can add 1 or 2 centre channels. I can bring the speaker(s) and wire as well.
Someone else was bringing their amp, no? If he's OK with it we could use that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks