HT Lighting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryLA, Jun 4, 2001.

1. JerryLA

JerryLA Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a lighting system that can be operated by remote control and hopefully the function be learned by one of the remotes I have now. I've looked through the Grainger catalogue but only found a system that actually does a lot more than I need. I don't really need to control four or five zones... just the indirect lighting in my HT setup. I've built all my components into a wall unit with bookshelves. I have two CD racks that each hold about 250 CD's. I need lighting that can be focused on the CD rack which is a pull out mounted into the bookcase and hidden lighting within the bookshelf area's. Ultimately I'd like to be able to sit down, and with the touch of a couple of buttons(through macro's running on my remote), have the lights dim to almost out, and my selected DVD start. Is this an affordable possibility? I found one system through Grainger but it was a bit pricey for mood lighting, around $600-$700. Are there any solutions specifically suited to HT?
    Thanks
    Jerry
    ------------------

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
  3. Brian King

Brian King Auditioning

Look at the Lutron Spacer system. These appear to be switch replacements that offer IR capabilities. I am looking to install thes in my HT too. While I don't have the built in, lighted, entertainment center, I do have a ceiling fan light, track lighting , and a ceiling dome light. I want these set up to dim with my Universal remote. I further want to have the zoning capabilities to set the lights to different levels for different moods. The Spacer System appearss to do this. IF you only wanted to control 1 light or a set of lights from 1 switch, you can buy indiviual Spacer dimmers (I've found these at Home Depot).
    Now, assuming your lights are NOT wall switched based, but rather inline rocker switches or some other type of switch...Lutron also makes wha they call lamp dimmers which should provide you the capabilities you are looking for.
    Keep us posted on the progress!
    -Brian
    ------------------
    Brian

4. Brian King

Brian King Auditioning

BTW...the single Spacer switch was priced about $50. I believe the "System" will cost about $150-200.
    ------------------
    Brian

5. JerryLA

JerryLA Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Brian! I'll check it out. I looked at a site called smarthome.com and found a switch for $30 that will allow me to dim from remote. That will work fine with my new wiring inside the entertainment center but not for the room lights. My actual room lights are two lamps that are plugged into wall outlets and a ceiling fan with lights. Out HT room/living room, has Aspen paneling from floor to ceiling. This creates a bit of a problem when trying to add outlets or new wall switches. Not impossible just more of a challenge. I ordered the one switch today just to check it out. I think it will be fine for the accent lighting inside the bookcase. I'll keep ya posted on how it works out.
    Thanks Wes for the link to the thread.
    As always, thanks to everyone! You guys are the best source of GOOD information around.
    Jerry [​IMG]
    ------------------

6. Curt Jett

Curt Jett Agent

Jerry, you can buy lamp modules from smarthome or x10 that plug in to the receptacle then the lamp into them. You can turn them off & on or brighten or dim. I use stuff from these sites all over the house. Spend some time looking around at these sites and you will find all kinds of useful gadgets. They also offer starter kits which usually include a remote control and a few switches or lamp modules.
    ------------------