What's new

ht kits with ribbon tweeters? (1 Viewer)

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
i'm looking for a speaker kit for the front 3 channels of a dedicated ht set up.
i want to have 6" midbass drivers and ribbon tweeters.
max i can spend is about $300 each ($900 total). i don't need exotic veneers or finishes.
does anyone know of a proven design to point me to?
thanks,
eric

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Just so you know, ribbon tweeters have almost no vertical dispersion when compared to conventional dome tweeters. The 'sweet spot' is fundamentally the height of the ribbon element itself. That means it's basically necessary to have your head positioned so that your ears are in a direct line of sight with the radiating element of the ribbon, otherwise you won't hear the high frequencies.

Also the ribbon elements themselves are also extremely fragile. They can't be touched or exposed to wind. Be VERY careful with vacuum cleaners, fans, children or pets around them!

That being said, know that they are probably the best sounding tweeters available

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I've got one. Check this

Dennis Murphy's "plop in the box"

Under your budget at about $200 per box, and you don't even have to build the cabinets- design uses the spectacular (esp the black) parts express premade cabs. While the woofer is a little smaller than 6 inch, this will easily handle an 80 Hz or so HT crossover with a sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks