HT in small room

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Travis.W, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Travis.W

Travis.W Auditioning

So we have had our house for 20 years and we want to convert out plain tv room into a media experience. We have a nice 36" HDTV so my question is what should we get for audio? I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount, but i want the stuff to sound good, and able to keep up with up coming technology.

here is a quick cad of the room, it is not perfect, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

to explain the room real quick, we have a couch on the back wall, and 2 recliners. in the front of the room, we have an entertainment center that takes the whole wall, there are drawers and cabinats on the bottom and shelves on top.

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

What is your budget?

Seth=L

3. Travis.W

Travis.W Auditioning

Well I would say under $1000 for receiver and speakers.

right now we have a Panisonic HTiB, not sure what model but i sucks, sound is atrocious, and there is nothing surround about the system other than the rear speakers which put almost an unnoticeable amount of the sound.

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Speakers. You could go with Insignia NS-B2111's for $50 a pair at Best Buy. I would buy two pair of those, they look awesome and sound surprisingly good. Just check them out at Best Buy or www.bestbuy.com. These aren't magnetically sheilded so keep them at least a 2 ft away or maybe a little less from your TV. I was using an Onkyo with mine and they sounded pretty darn good. (there is a thread on these speakers on these forums.

Take a look at Onkyo, Yamaha, and Denon, maybe a $300-400 receiver. These are the ones I looked into: Denon AVR-1507, Yamaha RX-V459, Onkyo TX-SR504. The Denon would probably be the best option. The Denon power ratings are generally more conservitive than Yamaha, or Onkyo. I think that any of these recievers would have plenty of power in your application.

Center channels I am not an expert on so maybe someone else can hep you solve that one.

Subwoofers, gee there are so many to chose from, Definitive Technologies has an awesome 8" sub for about $350. The model for that sub is Pro Sub 80. It is very small but would be very effective.

Looks like we are up to $750 without a center channel or interconnects.

Seth=L

5. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

You should go with Onkyo receiver. Probably get one for $400 and maybe cheaper. Go to their website and see the different models and options. Speakers. You would have about $600 for speakers. That's tough. I would say get a set of FL, C, FR, RR, RL speakers that are spectrum matched. Then get a sub seperate. If you can swing it, I would look at SVS for your sub. I know it would put you over a little for the sub. The smaller ones even sound great. As far as brands for the speakers. I guess Polk, or Insignia are good choices.

Don

6. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Remember, at this time the only good Insignia's are the NS-B2111's and they are only available at Best Buy (it is their in house brand, the speakers are actually manufactured by a company called Radiient witch sells these same speakers with an extra tweeter on top for $200 a pair). I would like to add I have had 2 Onkyo receivers and still own one TX-DS787, and they make a very solid product.

Seth=L

7. Travis.W

Travis.W Auditioning

We have a stereo onkyo, it is great. Powers outside and inside speakers really well, and sounds great.

is it better to get just a $400 5 speaker set, or buy seperate speakers (bookshelves and a center)?

8. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Generally seperates are the best route. Most often the most expensive part of a system is the speakers. (exempt video, which can also be quite costly but you have that part covered)

Seth=L

9. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

With a limited budget, go used. Where are you located?

10. Travis.W

Travis.W Auditioning

The worst place to get anything quility. I live in the poorest county in the country, in Maine. So if i want to get anything not sold at BB or CC, I need to order online. (which isn't a prob other than i can't hear it first)

11. Travis.W

Travis.W Auditioning

I would love to get this, but i think that the a 7.1 is overkill for the room. It is so small. And i can't afford that right now.

12. David-Wright

David-Wright Stunt Coordinator

If you have $1000 for receiver AND speakers then I would look at some of the more main stream brands like Pioneer and Sony. You can get a surround receiver starting at about $200 with many features that a few years ago would only be found in the high end receivers.

That would leave more money for decent speakers and the all important sub-woofer. You can get away with smaller speakers with a powered sub.

For a nice small speaker that you can find at a reasonable price on EBay you might check out NHTs super zero. Good quality small speaker with no bottom end to speak of. (so you will need a sub with these)

13. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

My advice...

I would consider buying some PSB Alpha speakers online. These will be "B Stock" speakers. which typically means they had very minor blemishes of tiny flaws at the factory. If the flaw affected the sound in any way, or the build, the problem was 100% fixed prior to be it sent out to one of their "B Stock dealers."

This system I have outlined below should handle any small to mid-size room with excellent sound:

Main Left and Right channels: One Pair - Alpha Intro CLR
    Center Channel: One Speaker - Alpha Intro CLR
    Surrounds: One Pair - Alpha Intro CLR (identical to the left and right channels)
    The Subwoofer: One Powered Speaker - Alpha Subzero i

You can find this entire package for $689.00 at the following dealer. They ARE factory authorized, and the warranty is every bit as good as if you had bought this same system for about $1200.00.

Here is the link... you will need to scroll down to look at the second system listed:

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

Then, of course, you will still need an amp. Look at the ones mentioned above by the others -- stick with Onkyo (they have a history of making a lot of great entry level amps), or Denon, or Yamaha. Look for one for perhaps $250.00, and you should have a system which will do much better than any of the ones mentioned above. It will not have the tiny "satellite speakers." Instead, these are small bookshelf speakers. They will provide a very warm, yet neutral sound. Not too harsh, not at all brassy, just focused on fidelity.

For the past four years, these PSB Alpha speakers have been consistently raved about as a "best bang for the buck" in the entry level market. You can rest assured that they will sound nice with music, as well as the home theater experience (something which is not true of most of the satellite systems in your price range, or the usualy "home theater in a box" systems you will find.

Do a Google Search on PSB Alpha and you will find quite a few reviews and mentions of these speakers.

I own the PSB Alphas for my second system in a family room, and they really are a great value. They used to be my first system, and I loved them at that time, as well.

-Bruce

14. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

I picked up a set of the Insignias and have to say I am very impressed. Especially for $50 a pair - they simply cannot be beat for that price. The first set had a bad tweeter in one of them but the second set sounds great. I'm contemplating picking up another pair......

15. Travis.W

Travis.W Auditioning

so should i spend like 700 and get a decent receiver like an onkyo, get the insignias, get a center channel, and get a sub?

or get the

PSB Alphas and a less expensive receiver?

16. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

If you have $700 to spend on receiver, get some used separates. My vote however would go for putting more money on speakers and sub and getting a receiver with preouts for $100-200.