What's new

HT/HiFi shops in Austin Tx? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Along the lines of the Orlando thread...

I will likely be relocating there in the near future. My fiance is relocating there in about 2 weeks for work, I'm looking for work there. I spent most of last week there (nice but hot, relatively low cost of living!), but didn't take the time to find any HT places. When I go back, I'd like to know of places in and around Austin and Round Rock to check out. (35/620/2222) Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I went into the Hometheater store in Houston, does that mean it is a chain? Was not very pleased with the way I was treated at that particular one, likely due to the fact that I was wearing shorts, t-shirt and sandals. Decent product line, but kind of stuffy, just like one of my local B&W dealers here.
This one got me - Bose in the same building as B&W, M&K, Krell, McIntosh, Rotel... :D
Thanks guys.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
A&B TV cares litlle about the customer they want to sell you something and get on to the next. That being said still a decent palce to purchase video stuff, because they have 0% financing available on purchases over $1000.

High Fidelity and the Home Theater Store are very snobbish IMHO. I once walked in to High Fiedelity with $3000 in cash and my pocket. They never even gave me one offer for assistance, yet the older rich couple who I over hear the wife saying "Ooh I think all of our TV's should be those pretty thin ones (you know plasma)" They had salesman all around them getting them drinks and whatever else they desired.

Mark's staff at Audio Systems is very good, although heavily biased towards the lines they carry. Audio Systems is also not into HT much, more stereo listening. But the do carry some good lines and will treat you with great courtesy and respect.

Jack at Audio By Design is one of my favorite dealer's in town. He is very nice, no pressure type salesman. I try to visit his shop at once or twice a year just to say hi and see what new stuff they have, and he is always willing to hook up whatever you would like to hear.

Two other dealers not mentioned although they are not big HT guys at all are Brian of Sound Mind Audio and Brian of Whetstone Audio. Both are really great guys. The SMA Brian will bend over backwards to please his customers and has some absolutely lovely lines in stock. Brian is so cool, that he actually said to me that anytime I would like and he doesn't have an appointment, "Come on over for a beer and listen to some tunes." Have not taken him up on his offer yet, but he did loan out to me for a week about $11,000 in gear to demo at home. Needless to say, I like SMA alot, and he is my favorite dealer in town. Whetstone, on the other hand has a really nice storefront on the UT drag, he is pretty cool as well although his line selection does not suit my tastes very well. But Brian has opened up his store for some afterhours listening for local audiophiles w/ beer keg in the past. Very cool.

Hope all of that helps some, but those are my experiences in a nutshell.

ChrisBD

Auditioning
Just to add my $.02, I had a really wonderful experience at Audio By Design. Good people, and they were able to work within my (very modest) budget. I highly recommend them.
I had two very bad experiences with High Fidelity, much the same as Scott said. I was completely ignored because I didn't fit their idea of a big fish. On the other hand, I recently found them to be friendly and helpful on the phone when I called them with a question about their inventory. Perhaps I just put people off in person. ;)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I went to high fidelty about 3 years ago to buy a receiver, speakers and dvd player. I went in in tshirt and shorts. I was helped right away. I didn't know much so they took me for too much, now that I know better though I won't go back. They are too expensive. I just buy everything online now.

Where is Audio by Design at?

brian a

Second Unit
I've had very good luck in High Fidelity. They've treated me very well every time I've been in there, and I never wear anything other than shorts and T-shirts. They are a little pricy when you first talk to them, but they've always come down when I quote internet pricing.

No argument that Jack at Audio by Design is the best guy to work with in austin. He'll talk to you all day about your system and make you a good deal. He's very willing to give a good deal on floor models as well. Audio by Design is at Anderson Ln and Lamar. It's right there on the south side where Anderson Ln dead ends into lamar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks