What's new

HT has demo dvd............... DAREDEVIL!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Kip Lackey

Stunt Coordinator
I thought there was some nice bass in the menu as well. You have to let it play but it is definitely there.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I thought the bass was pretty strong and prevelent, but I thought that the rest of the mix was a little over the top. The rear information seemed a little to strong and not very appropriate at times, as I believe that rears are to be used mostly for ambience and some rear panning effects. Also, the focus of some sounds seemed a little off, as some objects in teh fight scenes, which should have been pinpointed and imaged to a very discreet area of the soundstage, seemed to come from everywhere. Overall, very clean mix, but not very well implemented to my tastes, a little too overbearing and sloppy, kind of like the movie (but that's a whole new can o' worms :D )

I think some better reference HT Dvd's (for sound and picture) are Amelie, Talk to Her, T2:SE, The Phantom Menace, and O Brother, Where art Thou? These movies not only have extended bass at moments, but the sound mixing and engineering is flawless, and along with the gorgeous transfers it is almost like seeing it for the first time at the Ziegfield or something.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I agree w/terence ratings across the board! (though maybe another :star: for Video)

I 'forced-ON' my Matrix-6.1 Mode and the DTS ES sounded glorious!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

FYI: I monitored the LFE @ -10 dB below REF Level and read some Fast sub-sonic LFE SPL Peaks easily reaching 109 dB*!!! So, mixed a little hot (LOTR LFE is definitely mixed HOT) and we all loved it!!! :) ;) :D
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Oh yeah, didn't want to disturb my only neighbor (45 ft. away from his duplex wall) so I lowered it until the LFE Fast SPL Peaks were around 106 dB**!

*RS Meter Dial = 110 / Weight = C / Speed = FAST
**RS Meter Dial = 100 / Weight = C / Speed = FAST

Phil

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
My opinion is this movie SUCKED BIG TIME!!!!..terrible acting,plot,lines,story,directing,special effects you name it..My wife thought it was a comedy because she heard me and all my guests laughing so hard (she was in another room)..but in reality we were laughing at how much it sucked.

I didnt think the sound was all that good either..We watched the movie Basic before this and that movie kicked ass in the sound/bass department, the opening wave scene about made my walls crumble...

I wouldnt buy Daredevil for 5.00..and there are tons of movies that kill it in the sound department...imo

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I got this from Netflix popped it in on DTS and I'll agree whole heartedly some very nice LFE effects the sound steering was really nice to as for moving things around the sound field etc. Absolutely incredible sound I'll definately be buying this disc now:) and by the looks of the ending I'm sure they'll release a sequel to it.

Alex-Mic.

Stunt Coordinator
I rented this movie but cant find where to enable dts. I could not find it in the menu options.

Any help?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I bought the DVD and like it a littler better than Spiderman. Daredevil seems to me to be Spiderman in a different costume minus the web slinging.

I also notice that the print on the back cover listing the audio optionsa for DTS is so small you almost need a magnifying glass to notice/read it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Daredevil seems to me to be Spiderman in a different costume minus the web slinging.
Actually, I was thinking Dark Knight...vigilante who goes after bad guys in a large metropolitan city after his family is killed...

I guess the main thing for me is that I am a former comic collector, and suppose I expect a bit more. I like the Stan Lee cameos though :D

Daredevil was a good story that lost something in the translation, like all poor movies do.

There were so many things in DD lifted directly from other movies and anime, that it wasn't even funny. So unoriginal. Sorry, [/rant]

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought the DVD and like it a littler better than Spiderman.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I hated Spiderman too, so that isn't saying a whole lot. LOL. I saw it in the theater, and I felt my money was wasted.
------------------------

What I was trying to say is.....if I was forced to watch either movie it would be Daredevil. Even though I don't particularly like it either.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
You'd never see Ben Asscracks's girlfriend (Matt Damon) make such a horrible movie.

I'd rather watch 4 repeat episodes of spongebob squarepants then daredevil. Actually I wouldnt watch it again if you paid me 10.00 (Im serious)..I cant understand how anybody could like this better then spiderman (thats just me).

Oh yea, how about that park scene when daredevil and Jennifer were (fighting ?)...geeeez, it looked more like a Gene Kelly dance scene pumped up on some matrix steroids.. (Im singing in the rain, what a wonderfull day, Im happy again....comes to mind)

And what was Jennifers superpowers? she was flying and jumping around like she was the lady from crouching tiger/hidden dragon..I guess she had the six million dollar mans legs or something.

And was daredevils father Patrick Swazsee (spelling?) with a fake nose and chin ?

The big dude from greenmile and armageddon acted so bad in this movie that he should have been made to walk the greenmile! or get hit by an asteroid..

Colin Farrell..Loved the cow-branded scar on his forehead and ohhhh, wasnt he just deadly with those paperclips..

I could go on but why..enjoy the movie:D

Oh yea, sorry for the spoilers, I just thought this movie was so rotten it couldnt get spoiled any worse.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I enjoyed Colin Farrell and Michael Clark Duncan's performances most. BTW I also thought too many HUMANS had superpower abilities that just didn't seem appropriate. IMHO.

Joel~Solid

Agent
Here is my Quick review of this movie with the Dual PB2+s. Incredible! The amount of low bass in this movie is great. My favorite part about it is the fact many of the really low bass scenes are not overshadowed by the higher 30-40hz range. The low end of the spectrum really has a chance to shine.

Right from the start there is even pretty low bass in the opening credits

And finally the pipe organ screen gave you that nice clothes flapping on you body feeling.

The movie could have been a little better but I'm picking up this disc almost soley for a great demo piece.

Joel

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The bar fight sequence has the most sustained near subsonic information. When he is moving and flipping it really waffles the pants, and is near the lower limits of my hearing. Plugging a port on the PB2+ did enhance the power/response on this really deep stuff, so I'm thinking some of it must be in the 18-22 Hz region. When he gets whomped in a face a few times with the pool cue, that is much higher in the frequency spectrum, probably around 30 Hz would be my guess - but boy howdy is that scene VERY LOUD!

FWIW, I ran a high level reverse sweep with Avia in the 3/16 setting to see how the PB2+ delivers the goods at more realistic HT playback volumes. The Avia reverse sweep is nice because it is short enough to not cook the VCs and you can keep the volume down until the sweep hits around 50 Hz and then crank it up and watch the fun.

While this test was ad hoc, I had a pretty good eye on the SPL meter and the TV screen while the frequency scrolled down. In the 3/16 setting, the average SPL was about 108-109 dB from 35 Hz on down, and the sub peaked at about 113 dB at 22 Hz, and then returned to about 109 dB at 20 Hz as the sweep terminated. This is most excellent in-room extension with all ports open.

I'll run another high level Avia reverse sweep tonight with a port plugged and compare the results. I expect plugging a port will shore up the 20-22 Hz region a bit.

Regards,

Ed

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wouldnt buy Daredevil for 5.00..
well i did:D , thanks target.

anyhow theRE was bass in the credits, very beginning as someone mentioned.
and during the boxing scene when dad throws a punch it feels like a locomotive is going through the house. with a rumbling rolling sound effect. the first time i heard it i was looking away from the tv and was distracted and nearly jumped out of my chair.

SVS 20-39 PCi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks