What's new

HT grounding problem (1 Viewer)

gpgpg

Auditioning
Real Name
Garth Graham
Getting a new primitive home theater up and running in an old rental home. When I say old, I mean two-prong outlet only. And since we're renting, we cannot rewire (and no cold water pipes seem to be nearby).

I do have a fairly nice power conditioner, but of course cannot connect the grounding prong. So, if I run the coax thru the conditioner, can it be an effective ground? (it does seem to be grounded outside to the house ground). Or is it pointless to use the conditioner without the grounding plug???

Ahead of time, many thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My in-laws have this problem. Surge protectors are just simple power strips without proper grounding. For their "office", they did have an electrician come in and add a grounded outlet.

-Robert

chuckg

Supporting Actor

That isn't quite right - most of the cheapy surge protectors have the ground wired correctly, and use varistors to dump over-voltage to ground or neutral.

Better surge protectors use inductor-capacitor filtering as well.

I would not count on the coax to provide a safety ground. Most of the AV equipment will work just fine with no ground, but this is not usually recommended. You could run a separate piece of 12 guage wire to provide a ground to a cold water pipe, or a ground rod, or straight back to the power panel.

Dirty little secret: the ground connection is electrically tied to the neutral inside your power panel. That third wire is just a safety device, and really isn't for signal ground. Many two-prong outlets from the 60s have a ground wire for the electrical box, but it is smaller than the conductor wires. If you have that ground, you can use it. Not per spec, of course, but it does work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks