HT Front LR Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Alan Ferguson, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Alan Ferguson

Alan Ferguson Auditioning

My rm is 17.5 by 15.5 with 8ft ceilings. My goal is to create a good space to watch movies and general TV. I have Vandersteen, Linn, California Audio Labs and PSE in other rm for my music. I have a Marantz DV4000 for DVD and I'm looking at the Marantz SR7400 for av. Now the Question. Due to traffic flow and spouse ceiling mounted front LR's is my best option so far. Maybe small wall mounted could also work. Anyone have experience with such critters? Will make choices of sub and surrounds after fronts are chosen. Also the Marantz is not a lock.

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

I strongly recommend wall-mounted vs. ceiling-mounted for your fronts. Way better imaging that way. I'm using Polk Audio in-wall speakers and I've been very pleased with the sound.

3. Jared Neumann

Jared Neumann Stunt Coordinator

Just a suggestion on the receiver. In my set family foom set up I just bought the marantz 8300 and love it. check it out for a few bucks more

4. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

I've got a Marantz 7200(and have had other Marantzs) and heard the NAD 762 the other day. I would definately recommended taking the time to listen to the 762 too.

5. Alan Ferguson

Have measured and checked against in wall speaker measurements and I'm left with suspending the fronts from the ceiling. This way I can at least direct the sound downward and towards the listening area. I belive I can get about 1-2 feet from wall and ceiling edge and about 10 feet apart with the tv and center channel between. With 8 foot ceilings that gives me about 14 inches for speaker and mounting device. Any ideas about which speakers? I have heard good things about NAD and will put that on my todo list. I have a couple of cds in hand and I'm ready to begin listening till I get it right.

6. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

What is your speaker budget? And I'm not quite understanding you layout needs.

Have you thought about Maggies? The MGMC1 can fold back flat when not in use.

I copied this out of a review on the Magnepan site( www.magnepan.com );

"The MGMC1 ($750/pair) is a far smaller panel (46"H x 10.25"W x 1"D), but it has an interesting twist -- it can be mounted on the wall on its supplied brackets or used as a floorstanding design with a pair of optional conversion stands. The small size of the panel necessitates near-wall placement if you want to achieve the company's specified frequency response of 80Hz to 24kHz. Sensitivity is given as 86dB/2.83V/m and impedance as 4 ohms. The MGMC1 is a two-way design with a bass/midrange panel and a tweeter panel -- the crossover point is 1300Hz. Speaker attachment is by means of a fixed wire-tail with tinned ends.

What makes the MGMC1 so slick for surround use is that nifty little hinged wall-mount bracket. When you're not using your system, the speakers can be pushed flush to the wall. When you are, they can swing out like doors -- and their on-wall position means they get all the boundary reinforcement they require. What a marvelous concept."

These are what I heard with the NAD 762.

7. Alan Ferguson

What used to be a wet bar area will become the location for the tv and equipment. It's 4 feet wide and 7.5 feet tall. A small alcove, the problem is that on the right hand side just 6 inches away is a door into a pantry then an outside wall with a patio door. The only mounting area is that 6 inches or above the pantry door. Floor standing would block pantry door and taffic flow. To the left is ok.
    I looked and listened to Linn Katan's, which are made to be right up aganst the wall or in a confined bookshelf setting. Sounded great and their wall mount would allow some tilt updown and leftright. They are $995, this would be top end that I would pay. Teamed with Vandersteen VCC-1 center would make a nice sounding front three. So I have given up on ceiling mount. The only thing I have seen that would work that way was 1300 apiece. Can't remember the name. Havn't made any final choice yet but wanted to make sure I thank everyone for there help. This forum is making me think outside the box.