HT friends list on Xbox Live almost a must!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RayKk, Oct 27, 2002.

1. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

The friends list and custom races on the Xbox live is a must and having the people from Home Theater site is defiantly a must for game tags list, if you run MotoGP on quick race have you noticed the crap that goes when you want to get into serious racing, riders going the wrong way, kamikaze's who just want to wipe out other riders, anybody who likes to race knows accidents, bad moves, bad judgment and plain shit just happens and that's the way racing goes, but the idiots who go the other way and kamikaze's who just want to wipe you out just takes the fun out of it and this is a on going thing, so building a friends list and custom race is important, can you imagine that this will go up 10 fold on Nov 15th.
    tag: Goggles Pizzano
    put me on your list if you want to get into serious stuff

2. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

hey goggles a couple of tips...
    -avoid weekends and weekdays during kiddie hour at the pool
    -late nights are usually the best
    -use optimatch
    -look for rooms were there are 10 tracks available,usually infers serious racers
    -certain people run great rooms with talented (or trying to be) racers you'll start to recognize their names the more you play
    -many new beta people have been added who still fly into turns at 170
    -start your own room so you have kicking privileges
    -and yes it will get a lot worse,but we'll also get ten times more "real" racers
    - add me too your list!
    see you at the track

3. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

Great points hwshi! what is you tag name or is it the same as here hwshi, let me know

4. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Ray, it appears it's "ant1", notice the image in his signiture. [​IMG]

5. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

Let me just reiterate from my first posting on this thread,
    when you run into some problems or make a poor judgment call and you wipe most of the field out, bump or what ever, that would fall under "shit happens" and that is not what my complaint is about just for the recored.

6. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I second that emotion, Ray. Saturday night my buddy came over to experience the wonders of Xbox Live that I had been raving about for weeks. I pop in MotoGP and give him the controller to run time trials for a while, so he can get used to the bike and the tracks. Then we jump into a few quickmatches--the first three we got dropped out of as soon as the race started (poor upload speed by the host?). Finally we get into the lobby of another race in progress, only it takes about 10 minutes for the riders to finish. Huh? For a 3-lap race? But the next race starts and now we know why--6 or so guys spent the entire race going backwards and trying to wipe out as many bikes as possible. And the whole time they are begging "No bad feedback please, we are just having fun." We hop into another room, my buddy wipes out in the second turn, and I spend the entire race listening to the guy he accidentally took out cursing his name.

Finally we got into a decent room and ran some quality races, and he did end up loving it (he is signing up for a cable modem today as a matter of fact). But a shaky start due to a couple of idiots, that's for sure. The few races I have run against other HTF'ers were infinitely more fun...

7. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

Don't be afraid to use feedback, both good and bad!

Whoever's running the session should decide whether it's a crash & smash race or not, and should let everyone know before starting it. Also, it should probably be the session starter's responsibility to give negative feedback for people racing backwards (but everyone should urge them to do so). The reason I say this, is just in case you get into a race, just as it's starting, after they've let everyone know that there'll be crashing.

Give the "good guys" positive feedback. I've run across a bunch of people with really good attitudes, and were a pleasure to game with -- regardless of how good or bad they were at the game itself.

p.s. Hey Goggles... no offense, but I thought is was "Paisano", as in "paisan" (not pizza :b )

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

we are working on getting a list online on the HTF Clan page, should be up soon!

9. Aaron Brewster

Hey I would like to get together with you all for some "real" motogp tonight. I will be on around 9:00pm central. See ya online.

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hummm... This sounds like the same problems that nearly killed off Ultima Underworld - player killers.

I suspect that game designers are going to have to take these types of player into account when designing XBox Live games. Some type of limit on the number of times you can take out other players, or rules about not killing members of your own team.

But it will be hard for software to detect clumsy newbies vs player killer tactics.

Anyone know if XBox Live has rules/policy/software to solve this?

11. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

The interesting thing is that every game is going to have a unique situation that the "jerk-offs" will exploit just to be annoying. It’s been around as long as online gaming has and developers are getting better at preventing it.

All I can say is thank goodness they put a mute in there, that squeaky voice mask gets old very fast. I wish they would of put normal sounding voices in there that you can understand instead of the goofy stuff. I've been playing on Live for only a few days and I'm already sick of hearing them and the people complaining about them...

As far as rules go, I think the main one is to prevent players harassing each other. Its pretty hard to find a player that is not your friend, so if someone starts bugging you, you can either mute him out or find another game and loose him quite easily. I don't want the software to be limiting, sometimes I really do just want to play around going backwards or play "king of the road" with my friends in a private game. Keeps things fresh that way.

Dean

12. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

Is it Pizzano or Paisano? mmmm IM just going the way the Flintstones spelled it, what ever the way it is pizza is still ok to and IM not Italian, let me talk this situation over with my race team.

13. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

No offense meant, though. All in fun.
    ... and I never did any research to check the spelling from the original cartoons, so you may very well be correct.
    In any case, you are who you are, goggles and all [​IMG]

14. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

15. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

We had an "HTF Cup" race a few weeks ago with a half-dozen or so members, but no one could catch "Buck Thrustwell". [​IMG]
    Maybe some of the newer guys will have better luck...I'm game for another try!

16. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

I'll be signing on later this week! [​IMG]
    How do you guys make the cool X-Box Live tags?

17. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

dean is making them in one of the other Xbox Live threads