What's new

HT for the parents? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
Debating a gift for my parents, and would like your thoughts.
They are J6P all the way, but I'd like to believe it's from lack of opportunity rather than interest:)
Current system consists of a ~30" "cabinet" tv that sits on the floor. The tv is a few years old, and only has a/v and rf inputs. The viewing room is large, maybe ~20'x30'x8', although the seats facing the tv are confined to a smaller area. Normal viewing conditions are in bright light, and the picture is probably at the out-of-the box wacked settings. They currently have a vcr and a big-dish satellite system.
So, would it be worth trying to add some theater elements to this setting? I'm not looking at any big budget--HTIAB is the most likely possibility. Thinking dvd, receiver, and speakers, and needs to be easy to setup and easy to use.
Would it be possible to set up such a system in a way that would make it worthwhile? Some resistance I can anticipate:
"I can't record on a dvd"--covered since the vcr remains
"The picture is too dark"--this is inevitable if I calibrate it, and I doubt I'd be able to persuade them to watch with the lights dimmed.
"All of our movies are on vhs"--dvd rental is just as cheap as video rental
Any suggestions?

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
Towers are definitely out. Bookshelfs or cubes would be feasible. Max budget is probably $1000 for the works. Generally, aesthetics are not a big issue.
also, forgot to mention the tv is in a corner...starting to wonder whether this is more trouble than it's worth;)

Luis A

Second Unit
Kevin, I'm helping my parents get the Kenwood HTB-504 ( CC has it on sale for $399.00 ) and I plan to get them a Sony DVPNS-700 DVD player for around $299.00. My parents are J6P, but after seeing my theater are now very interested, and I think the Kenwood would be the best way for them to upgrade later if they choose.:)
L

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I would recommend going with a remote that can control everything and is easy to use. Pronto comes to mind. The easier the better.

Jon

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
Son, why do we have black bars on our tv when we use our dvd player? I have been playing around with this dvd player, look what happens when I press zoom those black bars go away(now you pass out).
Kenwood HTB504 with Toshiba SD1700 or Panasonic RV31.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Thank you. Now for my suggestion:
Panasonic RV-31 dvd player - $180
Adire Audio Rava - $400
Kenwood VR-507 - $230
HTD Level Two mains & center - $218
HTD Level One surrounds - $39
Or
Panasonic RV-31 - $180
Denon AVR-1802 - $350
Jamo Apollo system - $525
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks