HT for the parents?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Reckelhoff, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

Debating a gift for my parents, and would like your thoughts.
    They are J6P all the way, but I'd like to believe it's from lack of opportunity rather than interest[​IMG]
    Current system consists of a ~30" "cabinet" tv that sits on the floor. The tv is a few years old, and only has a/v and rf inputs. The viewing room is large, maybe ~20'x30'x8', although the seats facing the tv are confined to a smaller area. Normal viewing conditions are in bright light, and the picture is probably at the out-of-the box wacked settings. They currently have a vcr and a big-dish satellite system.
    So, would it be worth trying to add some theater elements to this setting? I'm not looking at any big budget--HTIAB is the most likely possibility. Thinking dvd, receiver, and speakers, and needs to be easy to setup and easy to use.
    Would it be possible to set up such a system in a way that would make it worthwhile? Some resistance I can anticipate:
    "I can't record on a dvd"--covered since the vcr remains
    "The picture is too dark"--this is inevitable if I calibrate it, and I doubt I'd be able to persuade them to watch with the lights dimmed.
    "All of our movies are on vhs"--dvd rental is just as cheap as video rental
    Any suggestions?

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

What is the budget going to be? Speaker size/looks restrictions?

3. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

Towers are definitely out. Bookshelfs or cubes would be feasible. Max budget is probably $1000 for the works. Generally, aesthetics are not a big issue.
    also, forgot to mention the tv is in a corner...starting to wonder whether this is more trouble than it's worth[​IMG]

4. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Kevin, I'm helping my parents get the Kenwood HTB-504 ( CC has it on sale for $399.00 ) and I plan to get them a Sony DVPNS-700 DVD player for around $299.00. My parents are J6P, but after seeing my theater are now very interested, and I think the Kenwood would be the best way for them to upgrade later if they choose.[​IMG]
    L

5. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I would recommend going with a remote that can control everything and is easy to use. Pronto comes to mind. The easier the better.

Jon

6. Bernard L

Bernard L Stunt Coordinator

Bose...
    HAHAHAHAHA j/k [​IMG]

7. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

Son, why do we have black bars on our tv when we use our dvd player? I have been playing around with this dvd player, look what happens when I press zoom those black bars go away(now you pass out).
    Kenwood HTB504 with Toshiba SD1700 or Panasonic RV31.

8. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Thank you. Now for my suggestion:
    Panasonic RV-31 dvd player - $180
    Adire Audio Rava - $400
    Kenwood VR-507 - $230
    HTD Level Two mains & center - $218
    HTD Level One surrounds - $39
    Or
    Panasonic RV-31 - $180
    Denon AVR-1802 - $350
    Jamo Apollo system - $525