What's new

HT for the Bedroom ($500 budget) (1 Viewer)

Chris-R

Auditioning
Howdy.

I'm looking to setup a HT system in the bedroom. With such a small budget ($500), I know there are some sacrifices I'll have to make. Whether it is an HTiB or separate components doesn't matter much, presuming it meets my requirements. At a minimum, I want a 5.1 configuration with a progressive scan DVD player with CD capability. The more flexible the system, the better.

I personally don't have the time to do tons of research (i.e., get caught up on the latest technologies, etc.), so I'm hoping I can tap into your collective wisdom.

Thanks in advance.
/chris

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
hello...well this is 25 dollars over budget. But i think this is the best bet for your money

JBL SCS136SI speaker package (includes sp. cbl and mounts)
$299.99 at best buy online

Pioneer VSX-D411 Receiver
$148 dollars at Wal-Mart online

DV-2600 Pioneer progressive scan DVD/CD/MP3
$78.64 also Wal-Mart online

Total system cost is $525 dollars. I don't think that you would do a whole lot better than this. The only downside is that the JBL speaker mounts included are not the best, so i would make sure that you have shelves or something to put them on. You will also have an extra satellite which is not necessary(your receiver cannot handle 6.1- You will pay way more for 6.1). Keep the extra satellite someplace safe in case something happens to one of them.

Actually, this system should sound pretty good for the money! Especially in a place such as a small bedroom, the small JBL speakers will be a perfect low-budget fit for you. And they sound pretty good!(I have actually had the bigger version the scs160si, and was actually QUITE impressed for the money). so i'm pretty sure these will sound more than adequate. I would not go with a package(HTB) anything. I think the more you have that are separate the better! If you get a package deal it will cost just a little bit less, and it will be not be nearly as good performance wise. THD is 10% on some of those units(the hissing noise you hear at higher levels, which is VERY apparent in a unit such as a combination HTB unit). The receiver i recommeded to you has less than 1% THD, so it will not really have any noticable hissing/distortion. Strong system for the money. Would buy one myself if my girlfriend wanted one per say. Good Luck!

~Eric

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Another option is the Onkyo HT-S760. If you are lucky, sometimes they go on-sale for $468. That is only speakers and a receiver. The DVD player that Eric recomended is probably fine. Of course, the is also over your budget. Be warned, the speakers for this system are larger than is typical. But the system Eric recomended is probably great.

Chris-R

Auditioning
Thanks for the quick replies. Eric, I checked Pioneer's website for the two products and neither are listed as current proucts. I found the A/V receiver under their "older models", but couldn't find mention of the DV-260 DVD player, and Froogle only showed it at wal-mart.com (out of stock) and luxushop.com. (You typed DV-2600, but I figured out the typo.) I think the VSX-412K ($170 etronics.com) is their newer receiver that is comparable to the VSX-411 (out of stock, too).

Hrm. Stock may be an issue since Pioneer has moved the receiver to its older products.

I read through the JBL speaker documentation and as I understand it, you only need to connect the fronts to the subwoofer if your receiver doesn't have LFE for the subwoofer and leads for the mains, correct?

As you mentioned, Daniel, the Onkyo speakers are quite largish for a bedroom. ;)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Almost all powered subs offer that option if you don't have a dedicated subwoofer out jack on your receiver. You connect the left and right speaker wires from the receiver to left and right ins on the sub, then connect from the left and right outs on the sub to your front speakers. There are crossover adjustment and volume knobs on the sub.

The crossover knob adjusts the frequencies that will be diverted from the mains to the sub, typically with a range of 40 to 120 hz or so, and the volume knob adjusts the volume of the sub only.

You can thus use a powered sub with just about any receiver, even a boombox if you wish.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
I would definitely go with these speakers, you are not going to(in my opinion) do too much better than them for the money. I would just buy them, and if you are going to go over budget, i would do it on the speakers. The only other thing that i think that (i) would buy would be the polk rm series(which is quite expensive 700-1200/just for speaker package).

I think that onkyo would probably be pretty nice. But i have never actually heard it though, or had it actually in my house

As for the wiring, i wired all of mine directly into the receiver,(running the subwoofer through the LFE) and i thought that they sounded absolutely fantastic!(i had the scs160/a little bigger)

I would ask and listen to some of these other people about wiring on here, for they probably know way more than me

But, if you do NOT have an LFE on the receiver that you buy, then you are going to want to run the two main fronts through the subwoofer. i would highly recommend buying a receiver with an LFE on it though, shouldn't be too hard to find.

i would just directly wire all of the 5/6 speakers, and directly wire via. LFE the subwoofer, i would then set the receiver to cross over at 80HZ the low frequencies. It(in my opinion, would sound very nice, and make these speakers run as efficient as possible)

Since speakers are so small, you want as much low frequencies as possible going to the sub(again in my opinion)

Denote that: Although these speakers are a good bang for the buck, i wouldn't hang them, for the mounts are VERY terrible, and the spekaers DO NOT accept universal mounts. Make sure that you can place them on shelves or something if you get them. If you do this, you cannot beat them for the money.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
receivers:

JVC 100W x 5 Dolby Digital Receiver - RX-6030VBK --179.99
KLH Audio Systems Home Theater Receiver - R6500 149.99
--target online--

-------------------------------------------

CyberHome Progressive Scan DVD Player - CH-DVD320--46.99
--taget online--
----------------------------------------

i would go with this CyberHome dvd player if i were you. It is really cheap, and probably just as good as something costing twice as much. Most components made by the same company anyway probably

I think that JVC is really nice, but would be over the budget. I will keep looking. Another idea would be to come into best buy and circuit city stores(or call them) and see if they have any open box receivers like the ones you are looking for. There is nothing wrong with them, someone probably just impulsively bought them and decided to take it back(or the WAF-wife acceptance factor came into play)

~Eric

Chris-R

Auditioning
I am considering the Cyberhome CH-DVD 500. It is $65 at Fry's, has a front display, and measures near the width of my current components (16 12/16 in.). Based on some reading, it supports most anything you throw at it. Thanks for sending me down the Cyberhome line.

Presently, I'm leaning toward getting the Onkyo HT-S660 ($350). It includes the receiver.

Cheers,
/chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks