What's new

HT Equipment... (1 Viewer)

I'am looking for some things and wonder if you guys could help me out.
Lighting controls. I want to be able to use a remote to not only turn on/off light, but dim. Is this possible with say...a pronto as a controller?
Racks. I know you've guys probably have heard this 100000000 times, but where can I get a really nice rack (not of the silicone flavor
wink.gif
. I'am looking for an enclosed one with a glass door if possible. The finish I'am looking for is real wood.
Cables. Say I want to have my equipment in the back of the HT room, and the TV in the front...do they actually make cables like Svideo, component (hdtv) this long?
Power. I have plenty of plugs, but the electrician is coming next week to install sconces....is there anything I should have him check/add etc?
2 Row Platform. I want to have the back row elevated, as in stadium seating. I don't really want to have the entire entrance elevated, but just the couch and enough room for comfortable movement...basically a "raised" section for the backrow and not necessarilly an entire elevated floor. I was thinking about making a "box" from 6x2's. Enough to give the couch and good legroom at a 6' elevation. Any problems/suggestions you see here?
3. I want my hometheater to go with a VERY modern, but vintage look. Leather chairs, contemporary fixtures, etc. But also antique popcorn machines etc. Do you guys know of any place that sells "old sytle" movie theater accessories? I'am looking for movie post frames that have "Now Showing". Also intrested in vitage looking soda machines, etc.
4. Chairs. As I stated I'am leaning towards black leather sofa/chairs for comfort, but what do you think about actual movie seats? I can fit at least twice as many people in the room with the more condensed movie seats as opposed to big leather furniture which I would have for looks, but ESPECIALLY comfort. Which do you prefer? Comfortable leather or vintage, more people movie chairs?
Thank you for any suggestions or comments.

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
Blake- Its me again!
I would go for the leather chairs!
What good is it if you dont have comfort?
Sure, you dont get as many people in at the same time, but I think its more important to have great comfort than the abillity to have lots of guests....
I choose leather for the simple reason that its easy to clean, people allways spill or drop popcorn/candy and then its great just to wipe it of with a moist cloth or something!
Just my humble opinion..
wink.gif

------------------
Go see my new theater CINEMAX! updated 2001-09-09
And PLEASE sign my guestbook!!
http://cine-max.tripod.com/cinemax/
[Edited last by Jens Raethel on September 15, 2001 at 07:56 AM]

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
For the rack, I have a Great American Oak stereo cabinet. It has 5 shelves (plus the bottom) and glass doors. If you click on my sig, you can see pictures of it in my den.
As for leather chairs, check out the Ekornes Stressless line. I "test drove" some of these recently and they were remarkably comfortable. I wound up getting a Stressless (Georgia) sofa & loveseat. (My home theater is in my den; I don't have a dedicated room.) Info & product pictures at http://www.ekornes.com
[Edited last by Andrea W on September 17, 2001 at 05:31 PM]

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I'd make sure you have dedicated lines to your equipment.
Also having a whole house surge protector costs little ($75 & up) but could save $1000s
I have UPSs running mine...you might want to see if the electrician suggests anything for the set up
Grant
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Hi Blake,
Some more ideas for you...
Lighting Controls - I bought a Lutron Spacer package for about $75 that includes a master dimmer, accessory dimmer, and remote control. I have a Pronto and "taught" it the lighting controls. Works like a charm! This is a very simplified setup and may not work for your HT, but it's fine for my current application. I've also heard people talk quite a bit about the Lutron Graphik Eye (sp?), which I believe is a more sophisticated lighting control system.
Racks - You could check out http://www.audioadvisor.com for a pretty large selection of racks. Not sure if they'll have what you're looking for, but it's a good starting point. Choose the "A/V Furniture" link and browse their selection if you want.
Chairs - It's my understanding that Berkline has released a line of home theater chairs (in leather, vinyl, and I believe cloth too) that are pretty affordable. Check out www.berkline.com and click on "What's New" for more information. I think there's a thread somewhere on this Forum with information. You could try searching for it. Sorry, I couldn't find it. I should point out I don't have any of these chairs so I can't comment on them. Perhaps some of the other members can shed their opinions.
Accessories - Some sites to check out:
www.htmarket.com www.showoffdisplays.com
Both of these sites have lots of what you're looking for -"Now Showing" poster frames, antique popcorn machines, etc. Also check out this thread, courtesy of Trevor Schell, that describes a personalized THX sign he found for home theaters:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/043189.html
Hope this helps; good luck!
------------------
Scott

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
My ultimate HT chair would be an Eames lounger with ottoman. Not cheap, but oh so comfortable. I can just imagine sitting down to a great film with nice cold martini in one of these!
As for cables: Yes! Check out Bettercables.com or if you want, build your own with Chris White's excellent cable building tutorial here
For a good deal on one, check out www.steelform.com.
-Max

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks