1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HT Electric Power

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Peter P, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Peter P

Peter P Auditioning

I've seen a lot written about connecting components, but I can't find anything that says how many amps and how many outlets I will need for my HT to be safe if and when I expand. I'm asking about the audio and video requirements. Obviously, room lighting and accessories will vary.

2. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

I don't think there is a lot written on the topic because it really isn't much of an issue. I don't know of anyone who has tripped a breaker using their HT. I'm sure it happens, but probably when the HT is plugged into a circuit that is already overloaded.
    Having said that, I am in the process of finishing my basement and building a dedicated theater room. I wired it so that my HT is running on it's own circuit just to be sure I don't run into any problems.

Currently all of my components are plugged into a circuit that also powers the lighting in the room and whatever else happens to be plugged in at the time. Never had a problem.

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I single dedicated 20 amp outlet will be plenty.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Peter,

It's hard to be specific since you didn't tell us anything about your system or equipment, or how large you expect to expand it to.

As Frank noted, usually a single circuit is sufficient. However, if you’re talking about a high-performance system with multiple power amps and subs, a second circuit may not be a bad idea. Some people like to use a separate circuit for video equipment – projectors, TVs.

You can put as many outlets as you need on the dedicated circuit, but check your local code for requirements. Typically most will be located near the equipment; it’s a good idea to also put one near the sub location, too.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt