HT down, part 2 "the receiver"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barton Lynch, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Barton Lynch

Barton Lynch Stunt Coordinator

Barton Lynch
    Well… first it was the right surround speaker a year ago, when it decided to dive to the floor and the woofer had to be replaced. Result, 30$ and a week without my room HT.

Now, for a sequel, a mysterious malfunction of the receiver’s center channel, at least that is what I think. Haven’t used the system since Monday when I connected my DV camcorder to show a movie I edited in my computer, the center channel played fine using pro-logic for some ambient enhancements. Turned it off. Turned it on today to see a movie on DSS. The center speaker sounds horrible like it is broken or something. I connected it to another channel (the center speaker) and it was OK. Tried another speaker in the center channel output and sounded with the same terribly distorted noise with some of the program’s audio. I amplifies, so this make me wonder what happened. Did the amp section for that particular channel blow up? Shot circuit? If in deed that’s what happened, then how? Why does it still amplify? All the other channels are OK, the center speaker is OK, and the anomaly is present with DD, DTS, DPL, mono, etc with any input or program material. The receiver is a very good (up till now) Yamaha RX-V595a. I even used the pink noise test and the center speaker sounds like it’s off-phase. But it is properly connected and I tried another cable too.

Looks like a trip to the service center and my HT down again, Sigh! I left the camcorder’s cable connected without the camera attached; did that have something to do with it? Damn it! I take good care of my system; I keep it clean, good cables and components and never abuse it. Why? Sorry, I just had to share this, this frustration.

2. Barton Lynch

Barton Lynch Stunt Coordinator

Barton Lynch
    Anybody have an idea what went wrong here? Or at least to share something?