What's new

HT digital projector (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Now that I have a great sound system, I want a digital projector and might be able to afford one in a few months.

I am thinking of the Nec VT45 because it can be found for about $1500 new, supports SXGA (compressed, but this will be used for video only and not text) and has a cool feature to move the projected the image up to 50% in each direction without moving the projector itself.

The only problem I see is the contrast ratio of 300:1, are there other projectors in the $1500 range that would be better than this one? is 300:1 that bad for movies and games?

Thanks

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to take a look at the Infocus X1 or Sanyo Z1.

Those are the 2 most talked about PJs within your price range.

Check them out at ProjectorCentral

Good luck with your buying decision.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
A 300:1 cr will yield grays rather than black but in a totally dark room it will not be too bad. I would look to the other pj's mentioned though. See if you can get a demo.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
The Infocus is DLP which I read makes rainbow effects all over the screen when you move your eyes, so I don't want DLP unless you can tell me that this isn't true.

The Sanyo is only 700 lumens and 16:9 ratio, I want a 4:3.

As for the panasonics, could you be more precise than "the 200" since I have no idea that model that is. A search for "Panasonic 200" only finds minisystems.

Thanks

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
The truth is you really have to see these projectors in person to decide it for yourself.

I've seen quite a few people got mad at someone else because they didn't like what they bought based on others reviews.

Start calling around and see if you could demo these locally before taking the plunge :)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
By gray do you mean dark gray or gray? For the price of the VT45, could I get one with a better contrast ratio?

Also, how much is the bulb cost of the VT45 compared to other projectors, and how much are the VT45 bulbs?

Thanks

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I'm also shopping for a projector.

From the several projectors I've seen, I think a high contrast ratio and good black level are more important than high lumen output.

In my experience, DLP rainbows aren't that bad. If you can learn to tune them out, it's not that big of a problem. If I were given a choice between a 300:1 LCD projector with no rainbows and a 1000:1 DLP projector with rainbows galore, I'd take the DLP because I'm more bothered by gray blacks than by rainbows. But that's just me.

Check out www.projectorcentral.com. Lots of good info there.

I'm leaning towards the Panasonic L300U for my purchase, but it's 16:9, and you want 4:3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks