1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HT construction, NEC 110LC, and other questions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Larkins, Dec 31, 2001.

1. David_Larkins

Hello All,
    I am new to this forum, and have been very impressed thus far with the genuine help that the pros here have been willing to give to us newbies. Here is my situation. I am finishing a room in my basement for a HT room / wet bar (20'x20' room). I have a friend (who shall remain nameless)who works at a university (also nameless) with their computer/audio/video equipment, and to make a long story short, the university surplussed some CRT projectors to make way for some new LCD ones, and he was able to get me a NEC XG-110LC and a 9' wide screen GRATIS!! [​IMG] Now, there is a catch. I am very new to the projector world, and before I go building my whole HT room around this beast, I want to make sure that it works, or could work without huge expense. I have plugged it up, and I get power, in standby mode, and when I turn it on power comes on, but there is no light coming out of the tubes. I don't have any sources hooked up to it, but I would think that I would see light from the tubes anyway. BTW, I don't have a remote for the thing either. I did download the users manual, but I don't have any kind of setup manual. Could someone tell me what to do next? Thanks in advance for your help!
    David

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

David, in all likelyhood the electronics of the projector are fine. The machine does an internal check of its circuitry on power up and if all is well, displays 00 on the LED's on the back of the unit. If a fault is detected it will flash a code on the LED's. Assuming you have a good chassis and bad tubes, you are actually way ahead of the game. The NEC LC units are some of the best imaging CRT's built and even if you needed to totally retube the unit (about $3K), the final price will still be pretty good for that grade unit.
    You really can't do much without the large setup remote. If you happen to have a Pronto, you can download my ccf from www.remotecentral.com as I have the entire setup remote in my ccf.
    Back to earth. Your acquisition is pretty exciting, but basically you've just been handed a high performance machine which really takes some additional equipment and professional setup to run properly. It's a big temptation to jump in and try to get it running by yourself. Unless you have CRT projector setup experience, you run a very good chance of ruining a potentially beautiful machine.
    The XGLC will need a home theater PC or a good scaler to make it operate anywhere near its full capability. Running it with anything less for video signal processing would be a total travesty. The CRT's will hit their sweet spot at about 720 lines on a 16:9 screen.
    Downside of the NEC XG's is that they are difficult machines to set up properly. A well versed NEC installer would easily quadruple the image quality a CRT newbie can achieve.
    See the following to help lead you to additional info. Read the thread I've linked below and do additional searches on "nec setup" and "nec XG"
    Read them all and very very very very strongly consider getting a pro to set up the unit the first time. This is a unit which is all too easy to do incorrectly. Did I mention to consider strongly a professional? I hope I get the point across! I'm putting these links here to help you learn about the projector, not to encourage you to try doing it yourself the first time. This is NOT a good first CRT do it yourself setup projector.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...setup+nec+mark
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...der=descending
    http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Archives...-2-000628.html
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...rojector+setup
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=yikes+focus
    http://support.nectech.com/index.htm will let you get a pdf of the setup manual. Look in presentation products, crt projectors...
    Sorry, none of the links are on this forum, but quite frankly the avsforum has many fold greater experience in CRT setup than anywhere else on the web.

3. David_Larkins

Guy,
    Thanks for your propmt reply. I am excited, and ready to 'jump right in' as you put it. I beleive that the friend who got me the projector might be of assistance in setting up the unit, or directing me to a pro. if he is unable to do it... like I said that's his job, so I would guess that he's done it many times before. Provided that he is unable to help me - I WILL be contacting a professional.
    With regard to the projector itself - do you suspect that I will need to retube it? The manufacture date is Nov. 1997, so it's only 4 years old... please don't tell me I'm going to be socking 3k into this thing every 4 years! - That's just not feasable.
    Also, with regard to the HTPC... I have a couple of machines that I was considering resurecting to do just that type of job with. I know a lot about computers, but not a lot about coupling them to HT. I assume that some pretty robust video processing is needed? My point is I have a Celeron 333 machine that I was thinking about dedicating to that task. What type of processing power is needed for this type of endeavor? What do you anticipate the cost would be for the correct hardware to do the job.
    I am trying to keep costs minimal, as I don't want to incur the wrath of my wife. Throwing thousands of dollars at something just to make it function is not here idea of a good time.
    [​IMG]

4. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

There's a good chance that you won't need to retube the unit, but you won't know until you get it to fire up. That pretty much needs the setup remote to accomplish. In the mean time, you could take a flashlight and peer into the lenses at the phosphor surfaces and look for any trapezoidal shaped browning of the phosphor. If you see that in a tube, the tube probably warrants replacement. Don't despair. You might even be willing to accept some tube burn depending on how educated your eyes are for image quality. I put CRT replacement cost on the table as a worst case scenario which in my view is still quite good given the type of unit you picked up. When set up properly the XG LC can achieve an astonishing image transparency.

Don't let me hear about you trying to run it using just plain old interlaced NTSC video or we'll have to send a posse down to rescue the unit from a cruel and unusual punishment.

5. David_Larkins

Guy,
    That sounds great [​IMG] So, is the setup remote something that I am going to need on a regular basis, or is it something that the pro will use, and I won't really need to worry with?? If I need one, (and I'm assuming that I do) then where do you suggest I go to find one, and what's the approx. pricetag? (so I'll know if I'm getting ripped off...)
    Secondly, could you respond to the question about HTPC... I know that this is not the right forum to do that in, but I have searched the HTPC forum, and I can't find a good discourse on the basics of setting up an HTPC machine as far as equip. needed, and the approx. $$ for that kind of setup. These are the things that someone new to the area needs to know...don't you think?
    Thanks for your help,
    David

6. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Better if I leave that to the HTPC experts in the HTPC forums here and at the HTPC section of the avs forum to take care of your HTPC queries.

I have a HTPC but it is a preconfigured one from AV Science and isn't my usual processor as my Faroudja usually does that duty.