What's new

HT connection suggestions. (1 Viewer)

Will Hurst

Auditioning
Having spent the past few weeks reading, researching, and quite a few trips to check out TV's I have made my purchases and would like to run my suggested connection ideas by more experienced HT veterans. :)

TV-Hitachi 51S700 (2 component inputs)
DVD-Zenith DVB318 (DVI output)
HTIB (I'm in an apt)-Onkyo HTS770 (2 component inputs/1 output, 2 optical and 1 digital coaxial inputs)
Stratitec S5280 (plus renters insurance) for surge protection or at least an attempt.

Other A/V devices:
Time Warner Cable HD DVR
XBOX

My current connection thoughts are:

HD DVR into component input #1 on the Onkyo with optical audio input.
XBOX into component input #2 on the Onkyo with optical audio input.
DVD into DVI input on TV with digital coaxial input into the Onkyo.
Component out of Onkyo into component input #2 of TV (#1 is available however the DVD is plugged in thru the DVI which is also on #1 I don't want to accidentally have two inputs at once there).

I'm upgrading my speaker wire for the rears to 12G RCA from HD b/c of the length of runs. I'll need to pick up some optical and digital coaxial cables but everything else comes with the units. Shouldn't be too bad for 11' viewing distance in an apt. :)

Any thoughts/concerns on this proposed setup? Thanks in advance.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'd do it a little differently.

Run the HD-DVR straight to the TV.

Run the XBox and DVD component to the Onkyo reciever, then from the Onkyo to the TV.

Here is the issue: your Onkyo may not have the bandwidth to handle progressive or HD video. Your highest-frequency source is the HD DVR. So run straight to the TV and avoid the problem.

While you CAN use the DVI ... I'd wait. Your DVD player only pumps out 480p and most of the games on the XBox are 480p and some are 720. May as well run them through the reciever. It might be cheaper in terms of cableing.

Will Hurst

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice Bob. I'll swap the inputs as you suggested. If the TV had 3 component inputs I'd run it all thru there vs. the Onkyo. Unfortunately the TV only has 2 component inputs. :frowning:

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks