What's new

HT center or one surround and another seperate set of Audio wires? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yes strange header, let me explain.
While the HT system is ~{OFF}~ I don't see a problem, BUT if it is on and playing,,,,,,, If I where to hook up a second set of wires from my external SCANNER rear output jack to either the center or any speaker in the system and run both the Scanner and HT at the same time could this or would this cause any problems to any of my gear?
I would Assume ~{in general a bad thing to do is Assume anything}~ that the speaker to not going to be the problem but rahter likely the equipment hooked up on either end of the *speaker envolved*. Receiver out on that channel or Scanner speaker out. What are the possible problems that could be incountered if I where to attempt to do this?
The Scanner would be ~{silient 75% to 90%}~ of the time, (ie) not sending any audio signal at all to the speaker. But when it dose send audo and the HT system is on, and the speaker in question is in HT use,
==========>
what might the issues be that are encountered?
==========>
I know this is not the brightests thing to do, but what happens when both the HT system is sending audio and the Scanner is sending audio to the speaker!!!
Can/could this cause any serious problems to ANY of the equipment? Speaker, HT-receiver, or Scanner. and what would that be?
This would be at Very Low Volume Levels on both the Receiver and Scanner, and would be trying it on the lower end bedroom system.
If the answer is extremly technical please try to keep it in laymans terms like, shits could blow/burn up! :D That I certainly can understand.
No really, LOL There are issues to doing this and could someone a little sharper than I please explain what would and will happen when both are trying to send audio signals to the speaker....?
Scanner is 8ohm and puts out a measured 2.75 watts at .9% distortion, volume pot at full maxed volume. Speaker that all this would be hooked to ---- is spec-ed at ~ 91db @-1watt~1-meter* 8ohm.
So you electronic sharpies please tell me whats going to be happening or not happening....
Thanxs much
Geoff

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
I am only an electronic *hobbyist*, so no expert here, but I think this is probably a bad idea. The speaker would act as a junction that would pass signals from the reciver to the scanner and vice-versa. I wouldn't think that out put going from the receiver into the scanner would be a good thing for the output stage on the scanner...

Another thing to consider is that trying to drive one of your HT speakers with the external speaker jack on the scanner *might* be asking too much of the output stage on that scanner. It might work OK for a bit, but I think it would be a strain on the scanner. I tried something similar with my soundcard once (I was experimenting). It worked fine at first, but then overheated and shut down the output stage on the soundcard (fortunately it worked again after cooling off).

Rick

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks, and this is what my little uninformened mind had come up with. I think if just the scanner was running and not otputing audio90% of the time this should not overload the drive units, but when both systems are in use your explanition is exactly what I assumed might happen. You used the word (would be) and im sure you ment (WOULD"NT BE) good when back driveing into the scanner.

Of course me being the average Joe and no electronics background other than learned audio, ~{thank you HTF and other forums}~ my words are far from the proper technical terms to explain this correctly.

Maybe some others will chim in and clearly clear this up..

But to this point I think I agree with your assesment of this crazy idea!

Geoff

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I don't think it will work without a mixer. Both signals would be going to all three places at once. Not a good idea. Even *if* it did work, you would be hearing 2 different things at once, which would be garbled.
My solution:
Go the the store and buy a cheap pair of KLH speakers. There is a pair of 4" 3-ways that usually runs $10. Hook those up to the scanner. (You don't need high quality speakers for a scanner). That is a very cheap alternative to possible frying you better speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks