HT Calibration Disk Question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Neil McCaulley, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Neil McCaulley

Neil McCaulley Stunt Coordinator

I have a question regarding these home theater calibration disks that are supposed to enhance your home theater experience. How can these disks, any of them regardless of the brand, optimize ANY TV when a lot of people do not have the same TV, receiver, speakers or even DVD players? Would I not need a HITACHI calibration disk to optimize my HITACHI TV, an ONKYO disk for my ONKYO receiver, etc.?

Thanks!

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Because they allow you to set the TV according to external control factors. The audio portion allows you to calibrate your speakers to a matching volume all around, as measured by an SPL meter. It also allows you to set it to a "reference" volume standard by calibrating to a "reference" level tone. This volume can be measured and thus calibrated, regardless of the brand of receiver/speaker, because you are only measuring the output. Similarly, the video portion allows you to set color by viewing the sceen through calibrated color filters (blue, red and green with Avia) and calibrate blacks by comparing a step pattern where if black level is too high, the bottom steps run together and if white is too high, the top steps run together. Note, these are only basic calibrations. A full calibration needs additional measuring equipment to allow you to measure the video output to a finer precision (i.e. setting grayscale).

So, regardless of the brand(s) you have, if you measure and calibrate your system to give a certain reference appearance/sound as measured by outside measuring devices (SPL meter/color filters), you will achieve the same results for vastly different equipment. The settings on each TV/Receiver/DVD player may be different, but the audio/video output should be close to the same for every system.

3. Neil McCaulley

Thank you Jeff. Which brand of calibration disk do you recommend, as well as information on its costs?

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I have Avia and the first Video Essentials. Both cost me around $35. Avia was easier to use and came with red, green and blue filters. Video Essentials was my first, was pretty easy and came with only a blue filter. Both gave instructions on how to use an SPL meter and the filter(s). There is a new Digital Video Essentials that is said to be good for around $18. It does have a flaw in it's subwoofer tone (do a search on how to correct), but otherwise it looks good according to others (I've never used it).

5. Neil McCaulley

I did some research and found out that the 2002 pressing of this disk now has the red, green and blue filters, as well as an audio calibration geared towards DTS. Do you think the problem with the subwoofer test has been fixed too?

6. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

No, this is the version that has the flawed subwoofer tone.
    But now that you know about it, it shouldn't be a problem.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

check the primer faq at the top of the forum. vince maskeeper wrote a great article about calibration dvd's...

8. Neil McCaulley

Hey Ted,

Where is this 'Primer FAQ' that you told me about? I would like to read the article on calibration.

9. Neil McCaulley

Hey Brad,

Is there an AVIA calibration disk that has the test for DTS?

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

11. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

I don't have the Avia disk.....yet. I've been using the DVE disk. And I don't remember seeing anything specifically for DTS on there.
    It's been awhile since I used it though. I'll have to check it out.

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

no dts

13. Neil McCaulley

Thanks Ted. VERY useful information there!!

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

anytime neil! [​IMG]