What's new

HT As A Wedding Present (1 Viewer)

Gary Dehardt

Agent
I've posted on these boards a few times b/f and got some really helpful/insightful advice so I thought I'd try again. A buddy of mine is getting married and some of us in the wedding party would like to chip in and get him a HT setup. It'll be used 70/30 (HT/music) - w/lots of action movies and hard rock. He's a huge movie fan but has never had any HT (ie, no speakers other than the ones on his tv) so anything we get him will be a huge step up. He recently bought a '32 tv and already has a dvd player and cd player.

We'd like to spend less than $1300.

Here's what we've been recommended:

Marantz 4200 - $450 (?)

B&W 303's ($300) and the accompanying center ($ - ?)

We were also advised by the same dealer to use another set of 303's for the surrounds. As for the sub, I think I can get a NHT Series One for $140 from a store near me.

The system this dealer recommended would go about $1050 (including a deal, obviously). With the NHT, we'd be around $1300 (not including tax and possibly cables).

Questions:

1) Can we get around using the 303's for the surrounds? Meaning, would a pair of Paradigms or inexpensive NHT bookshelves do ok in this setup?

2) Should we be considering the Denon 1802? Or the Outlaw 1050 (might send us over budget, as we wouldn't be able to get any sort of deal to get it below $500)?

3) Are the 303's the best bet here? I have the 602's and love them. But should we be looking at a Paradigm system, or any others for that matter, for the main 5 speakers?

Note that I recently went to another store and told the salesman I was on a $900 budget. He recommended a Paradigm system (the mini monitors?) for around $550 or so, and a TEAC receiver.

Any thoughts out there? Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks.

G

Martin G

Second Unit
The Onkyo TX-SR600 is a reciever you might want to look at. It is a 6.1 channel receiver with pro logic II and DTS-EX. I think you can find it online for around $400. I have the 595 model (the 600 is the upgrade of that model) and I have been very impressed with it.

Gary Dehardt

Agent
After doing some browsing on these boards this morning, I have another idea?

Axiom speakers from the factory outlet, coupled with a receiver such as the Outlaw, Marantz 4200, Denon 1802 or

Onkyo TX-SR600. Anyone have any thoughts on this setup, in particular, a receiver that would mesh well with the Axioms?

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
The Axioms are a very good bang for the buck speaker. All the receivers you mentioned are excellent, the Outlaw IMHO would be the best sounding of the group Marantz second. Being that the system will be used primarily for HT I recommend going with the Onkyo as it will have the newest features, especially for surround.

Gary Dehardt

Agent
Thanks. Another question if anyone else is listening (although I'm sure this has been debated at length):

Is there any general feeling on whether, assuming I stay within a $1300 budget, I should put more money towards the speakers or the receiver? In other words, I can perhaps do any of the following:

B&W 303 plus Marantz 4500 (or more likely Dennon 1602 0r Onkyo 595)

Paradigm Titans plus Outlaw 1050 or NAD 751 (refurbished)

Axiom M3 plus the Maranrtz, NAD, Dennon or Onkyo.

I could say, hey the B&W's are great and I'll build the system around that and find a nice $400 receiver to drive it...or I could say the same thing about building around the Outlaw. Any thoughts?

G

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
More $$$ to the speakers would be my suggestion. They have the largest overall effect on the sound (besides the room). Something like the Denon 1602 or 1802 will leave you ~$1k for speakers. I'd spend $4-500 of this on the subwoofer and the rest on the LCR's & surrounds. Hsu's VTF-2 or Adire's Rava are excellent subs in this price range. JBL's N-24s, Ascend Acoustics, or HTD have a good bang/buck in this price range. This site reviews budget HT equipment and will give you an idea of what is available...

Jedd

Second Unit
I'd couple Axioms with H/K receiver.

H/K gives you very good warm/neutral sound, but with low wattage, so it should be perfect with sensitive, and a bit bright axioms

Or go with paradigms + denon. Should be awesome too, but paradigms slightly overpriced in US (IMO), but they sound really magical.

Marantz used to be the best receiver for the music, but the quality of the last x200 line is debatable.

Sub is a must for a HT. Rava and Hsu's VTF-2 are the most popular choices here. But you also might consider one of the axiom's subs, if you go with axiom line.

Gary Dehardt

Agent
I think I'm going to go with the Axiom M3's (from the outlet), the Denon 1802 (under $400 from Federal Stereo - btw, does anyone know if Federal Stereo is an authorized dealer?), and an NHT sub (demo). Of course this can all change b/c I'm going to audition the 303's and the Titans on Monday.

I'd love to get a Rava for this setup, but with only $1300 to spend on 5 speakers, a receiver and a sub, I'm a little unsure about spending over $400 on a sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks