What's new

HT Amp for Bose 901 and 301 w/ active equalizer (1 Viewer)

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
I have a panasonic HTIB and thought it was the cats meow, but a few days ago I sorta fell into a deal on some Bose speakers. I got a pair of Bose 901 speakers (w/ stands) and the active equalizer made to go with them for $40. Also got a pair of Bose 301 speakers for $40. All are in near-mint condition. I replaced the panasonic speakers with the Bose (901s on front L&R, 301s on surround L&R) and WOW! what a difference. Trouble is the Panasonic HTIB outputs to 3.9 ohm speakers while the Bose units are 8 ohms. Another issue is that the HTIB doesn't have PRE-AMP OUT / MAIN AMP IN (a.k.a ADAPTOR or SIGNAL PROCESSOR) connections required for the Bose equalizer that the 901 speakers need (according to the Bose manual). So, what I'm looking for is a recommendation for an 5.1 amp to replace my HTIB. I figure I'll get a decent Blue-Ray component player to plug into it. A Built-in in FM tuner isn't an issue since I already have a nice FM tuner sitting unused. The amp will need the connections that the Bose equalizer requires. I don't have an active sub-woofer...do have a decent passive one. And since I'm on a disabled military pension I can't pay much. Maybe if I get a recommendation I can find it used on eBay or at a pawn shop...at least I have something to set my sights on while Im looking around. Any help? I've looked, but since I'm new at this stuff my eyes glaze when I see all the various specs. I'm just looking for something that will allow me a home theatre system that my newly-acquired Bose gear will be happy with. Thank you!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This isn't going to be cheap...no matter what you do. You'll need an AVR with pre-outs(which never existed on "low-end" AVR). Then you need another amp. There are zero(technically that isn't true...but we are talking $2000+ Arcam, older NAD) AVR made to work with 901. I can't remember that last time I saw an AVR with pre-out/in for under $2500...and that was a decade ago. Look for(the lowest prices you are going to find)... Yamaha RX-V667 (those sold, new clearance, for $300 for 3 months. Yamaha had way too much stock come clearance...it affected re-sale on that model...if you find one though) Integra DTR 5.8 or 6.8. Those two can be found are $250 and $300 respectively. In a nutshell...you need an AVR with pre-outs. Good luck doing this on under $500.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Onkyo are going to be your easiest to find. Look for these... TX SR704/804(these don't do onboard lossless audio, the BD player would have to) The rest of these do their own lossless... TX SR 705/805/706/707 After those 6(and even the 804/805 are a stretch) you are over $300 used. I can't think of a Denon you'll find for under $400 used. Yamaha 5990(last I saw one was $450), 6080, 6180. After those model numbers(including the prior post)...I got nothing that is going to stay under $400.

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
Found a refurbished Yamaha RX-V667 for $314. Will likely pick that up. Can you suggest a respectable blue-ray player that would be a good match for it?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Pretty good price on that 667. You'll also need an amp...couple of good choices... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hafler-DH-120-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-/350709297511?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item51a7e73167 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Absolutely-ONE-OWNER-Onkyo-M-282-2-Channel-Amplifier-/160969857375?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item257a8d195f Any BD player you want. Do you need network features? Spend $150(the research on them depends what you are playing...MKV, for example, plays best on LG) If you don't...I'd pick any Panasonic or LG around $80.

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
Im learning here so thanks for the patience with me.... That DH-120 you mention is a stereo amp. Just two channels left and right. What about the other channels - center, surrounds, woofer? They don't need an amp? Never dealt with separate aufio components since my "quad" amp and 8-track player with a well worn Iron Butterfly "Innagaddadavida" tape.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your 901 have the external EQ... This is what you have to do to integrate them into modern home theatre.... 1. AVR with pre-out (which the 667 is a good choice) 2. A stereo amp that is separate You will run the front channel pre-out into the EQ. The EQ will then connect to this external amp to power the 901. The 667 will still power the center/surrounds.

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
Understood. Thanks. Reading about the 667. You place mic in the room and the unit performs equalizations according to the room acoustics. Seems that the 667 is smart enough to make better adjustment than I could by ear while tweaking the Bose equalizer. Does it make sense to just connect the 901s to the 667 and use the Bose equalizer as a doorstop?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't have an answer to that question. Bose EQ and DSP(Orcehestra/Studio/Concert) sound modes typically don't mix. Basically the 901 EQ will "fight back" any changes the DSP makes... I have no idea if you can use YPAO with the 901 EQ. (and you have to use the EQ)

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
That's interesting....not doubting you, just trying to understand what the 901's equalizer does that the 667 can't do better. -if- I put the Bose equalizer in the loop with the 901s and a dtereo amp and tweak to suit. -then if- I take the Bose equalizer out and let the 667 do the work I wouldn't get a similar if not better result? Wonder whats unique about the 901s that makes this so? Ordering the 667 now. Thanks for helping thus far, and again thanks for your patience. (Hunkering down here in Maine until the current storm passes)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well the issue is... The 901 are a series of full range drivers in an array. There is nothing "inherently" flat in the frequency response. The job of the "Bose EQ" is to "mold the incoming signal" to the 901. Think of the Bose EQ this way... A turntable needs a pre-amp. Think of the Bose EQ as a "pre-amp for the speakers". I have no idea if the correction the 667 has...is enough to remove the need of the dedicated EQ. My opinion... Buy an external amp. Preferably one you could easily resell...like that Hafler 120. (other amps you could buy and re-sell easily include Nikko, NAD "PE" and SAE) If you connect the 901 directly to the 667 and let "YPAO do its thing"...then put the EQ in...and run the 667 "flat" (you'll have a choice between YPAO and flat)... If you can't tell a difference...re-sell the amp and let the Bose EQ collect dust.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is an amp suggestion. This is fabulous for the $150(shipping included) anyway...you could easily re-sell it. (you could cut your "loss" and sell it back for $125...and I doubt you'd have it more than a week) http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAE-TWO-Power-Amplifier-P10-Rack-Mount-Made-in-Japan-/160956105238?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2579bb4216 If you choose that one...I'm not sure if it has a worldwide power supply. If it doesn't and runs on 240...a 120/240 converter costs $30-$50.

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
Could you please help me determine if the 673 (which is a new version of the 667) has features worth the extra cost. I want to do this right but no sense in paying more for things I don't need. These are the prices I've gathered: Yamaha RX-V667 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver (OLD VERSION) New for $589 Used w/ 1 yr warranty for $319 Refurbished w/ 1 yr warranty for $314 ********************************************** Yamaha RX-V673 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver (newer model) New for $600 Used w/ 1 yr warranty for $400 Refurbished w/ 1 yr warranty for $479 Thanks for the time you've put in this!

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
Well I think researched and now understand (sorta) enough to decide on the RX-V673. Having to stay in during the snow storm provides good research time.

capttwb

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas W Briggs Sr
I have the same speakers and use a Onkyo TX-SV525, it's all you need. There is a couple on ebay for under a hundred bucks. I run the 901's and the Bose Accoustimass 7 for great surround. Read my post about Bose 901 speakers in the Speakers forum.

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
schan1269 said:
As long as the "audio out" is pre-out...(pretty sure it is) Before you buy, download the manual and make sure.
Yep....manual says "pre-out", so looks like its what I need.

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
Waiting for the Yamaha RX-V667, Hafler D-120 amp and active subwoofer to arrive...now trying to get the speakers laid out properly. Here's what I have planned: "Front" L & R: Bose 901 speakers I have onhand. "Surround" L & R: Bose 301s I have onhand. "Presence" L & R speakers: don't have them yet. They'll likely be mounted in-wall. "Center" speaker is an existing decent quality two-way in-wall unit. "Surround Back" L & R speakers (or just "Surround Back center") do these need much power handling capacity? I have the sorta-cheapo speakers that came with my Panasonic HTIB before it was decommissioned. Are these suitable or should I plan to upgrade? "Subwoofer" is an active 10" down-firing unit already on order. Thoughts or opinions? I'd like to do things right but the budget gauge is on E for the moment. Thank you!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would not use the HTiB speaker. It is probably 3ohm and realistically only handles 10 watts. Depending what series 301 you have...two more? Actually the 201 works as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks